Unhappy Unanswered: Please Help, I have No Idea What I am Doing

I serously need some help with my databases...

I have absolutly no idea what I am doing when it comes to databases. I have a website that has 9 different databases in it. I am having all sorts of problems and getting a lot of max_users errors.

This is what I have come up with...

Slow_queries 384
    The number of queries that have taken more than long_query_time seconds.

Handler_read_rnd 20 k
    The number of requests to read a row based on a fixed position. This is high if you are doing a lot of queries that require sorting of the result. You probably have a lot of queries that require MySQL to scan whole tables or you have joins that don't use keys properly.

Handler_read_rnd_next 689 M
    The number of requests to read the next row in the data file. This is high if you are doing a lot of table scans. Generally this suggests that your tables are not properly indexed or that your queries are not written to take advantage of the indexes you have.

Created_tmp_disk_tables 297
    The number of temporary tables on disk created automatically by the server while executing statements. If Created_tmp_disk_tables is big, you may want to increase the tmp_table_size value to cause temporary tables to be memory-based instead of disk-based.

Select_full_join 33
    The number of joins that do not use indexes. If this value is not 0, you should carefully check the indexes of your tables.

Sort_merge_passes 612
    The number of merge passes the sort algorithm has had to do. If this value is large, you should consider increasing the value of the sort_buffer_size system variable.

Opened_tables 711
    The number of tables that have been opened. If opened tables is big, your table cache value is probably too small.

Table_locks_waited 765
    The number of times that a table lock could not be acquired immediately and a wait was needed. If this is high, and you have performance problems, you should first optimize your queries, and then either split your table or tables or use replication.

I did not create these databases nor do I know what is needed to fix them. Please give as much detail as possible as what I need to do to get everything working properly.

My hosting company has been no help what-so-ever on this. I have no where else to turn.

Please, I beg of you pro's to help me!
    Thats my 2 cents,
    Amanda
    BizBla

Though the best possible solution would be to examine the entire code for the web site and the database/table definitions, that is asking too much for forum based help. So, your best bet would be to pick one area where you will receive the greatest benefit and fix this, then go on to fix other areas.

Start small (if you post hundreds of lines of code very few people here will take the time to read through them.) If you post the code for your most highly visited page (most likely the home page) and the database table definitions that are used on that page, you might get some help.

You have 9 databases or 9 tables in one database? Can you provide a description of how your web site is organized (what pages it has) and how each of these pages uses the database? Sort of a map of how the database(s) are used within the web site.

Though the best possible solution would be to examine the entire code for the web site and the database/table definitions, that is asking too much for forum based help. So, your best bet would be to pick one area where you will receive the greatest benefit and fix this, then go on to fix other areas.
    - I did quite a bit of work on everything all night long. I got rid of a lot of coding in the php that was not needed as well as a lot of tables in the database that we're not needed. It seems to have helped a little bit as the max_users errors are not as bad today (of course it is sunday and my traffic is usually a little slower on sundays).

Start small (if you post hundreds of lines of code very few people here will take the time to read through them.) If you post the code for your most highly visited page (most likely the home page) and the database table definitions that are used on that page, you might get some help.
    It's kind of hard to find the most busiest place on the website as each section gets pretty much the same amount of traffic. The problem occured the most when we added in a paid-to-click section. The database had a lot of unnecassary junk in it as well as the php. This is one of the ones I cleaned up over the night.

You have 9 databases or 9 tables in one database? Can you provide a description of how your web site is organized (what pages it has) and how each of these pages uses the database? Sort of a map of how the database(s) are used within the web site.
    Yes, I have 9 databases for the website. The website has many different sections that include a banner exchange, a traffic exchange, a game room, paid-to-click service, url rotator service, and more. You might be able to see the website depending on the errors and hosting (both of which are a big problem right now). The websiite is BizBla as seen in my sig.

I have a post open looking for someone to come in and optimize everything for me, but I do not have much for money and no-one wants to reply to it (cant say as I blame them, I can understand).

I've had these problems for about 4 or 5 days now and its really hurting the websites reputation of course. It's got me so frustrated that I have wanted to just delete everything and trash it but I have put so many hours into this and its actually getting to be a pretty popular website, I just cant bring myself to do it.
    Thats my 2 cents,
    Amanda
    BizBla

a banner exchange? a traffic exchange? when "we" added in a paid-to-click section?

sounds like you've created a web site to make money

it takes money to make money -- "i do not have much for money" just doesn't cut it

hire a professional and pay accordingly, or shut it down -- it's your call
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

"i do not have much for money" just doesn't cut it
    hire a professional and pay accordingly, or shut it down -- it's your call
    WOW, we all have to start somewhere dont we? I'm sure there was a time you were starting out and needed help.

sounds like you've created a web site to make money
    Most of the services are free except for the paid to click.

And here I thought forums like this were designed so people could help eachother out with problems like so, wow, guess I was way off there. I sure know better than to post in here again.
    Last edited by bizbla; 08-06-06 at 20:40.
    Thats my 2 cents,
    Amanda
    BizBla

Quote Originally Posted by bizbla
    I'm sure there was a time you were starting out and needed help.
    yes, but i didn't get way, way, way in over my head and then ask on a forum for someone to donate a ton of time and effort for a pittance
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Not once did I ask for someone to "Donate" anything! I merley asked for help, I can do the work myself but just need a push in the right direction.

Get off my back, if you cant help, dont speak up!

If you bothered to read my post where i did ask to hire someone, I asked for a "QUOTE" of how much it would cost so I could save the money before the work was to be done.
    Last edited by bizbla; 08-06-06 at 20:56.
    Thats my 2 cents,
    Amanda
    BizBla

Quote Originally Posted by bizbla
    Get off my back, if you cant help, dont speak up!
    if you would kindly remain civil, then it's a deal
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Im usually a very friendly person but the way your were coming off really made me mad. I wasnt in anyway asking for charity work or anything like that. I just want some help and that is what these types of forums are supposed to be about.

We all have to learn and no one can do that without asking for help once in awhile. I can write php and html all day but when it comes to databases and scripting, I'm a little lost but would love to learn, I think its awesome what script writers can do and want to do it myself some day.
    Thats my 2 cents,
    Amanda
    BizBla