Unanswered: Blue To Red Puzzle in VB

Gez, another vb puzzle by that guy who has nothing better to do (but I am getting better at creating them).

OK, this one might be a little difficult but I assure you there is a solution. It's guaranteed virus free via Norton's Antivirus (there's not much to the code and it uses no special controls - just a few buttons and shapes.) If you solve it, drop me an email as the algorithm I used is quite different and you won't find a solution on the web anywhere (please - no hate emails though).

I will send out the source code if anyone's interested.

Here's a clue though - the first button number to click on is 2 and the last one is 10.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Question

Quote Originally Posted by pkstormy
    Gez, another vb puzzle by that guy who has nothing better to do (but I am getting better at creating them).

OK, this one might be a little difficult but I assure you there is a solution. It's guaranteed virus free via Norton's Antivirus (there's not much to the code and it uses no special controls - just a few buttons and shapes.) If you solve it, drop me an email as the algorithm I used is quite different and you won't find a solution on the web anywhere (please - no hate emails though).

I will send out the source code if anyone's interested.

Here's a clue though - the first button number to click on is 2 and the last one is 10.

Ok, it's offical now I hate these puzzles yet I keep trying to solve them...your the guy who writes those IQ tests for MENSA aren't you? I even tried an algorythim thingie my Dad taught me many many many moons ago and it didn't work. I'm sending it on to him and NJ they both have IQ's over 200 if they don't get it, I'm going to ass/u/me there is no definitive answer. Now I have a headache and the start of a hang over I hope your happy...lol...Honestly though I am trying to pick up a little knowledge on VBA code and you guys have been very helpful just reading thru the threads. Well, I'm going to go and hide my head in a box and hope the hangover isn't too bad, first couple of drinks I've had in 30 something years. I used to walk and talk better than this before...I think
    TTFN, and remember payback, I have a little calculation thingie just for you, as soon as I find where I hid it in this thing. In closing all I have to say is this.....arrrrrgggghhhhhhhh...roflmao.
    One can never stop learning if they open their eyes every morning with optimism and hope...Bill R. Loy
    I have a 8 gigabyte mind in a 80 gigabyte world something is bound to be forgotten as I age serenely into senilaity....

Morath
    No matter what, the earth keeps spinning.

Nun puzzle

Sorry - this email is posted for the nun puzzle....

I made this nun puzzle up within a few hours and created it difficult because our developers where getting cocky on saying they could solve and figure out whatever logic I could come up with providing it is solvable with some kind of pattern (they teased me to make it difficult). - Hopefully it's at least somewhat fun to try and solve but I assure you there is a pattern to the solution and it IS solvable within 7-10 clicks of starting a new game (I say 7-10 because 1 nun color is randomly generated by clicking on a specific nun)) and you DO need to find an "order" of 4 of the nuns (see below). But it IS solvable (it is NOT one of those UNSOLVABLE puzzles where you get "lucky" on the solution by randomly clicking the nuns hoping to get them to match - THERE IS A PATTERN TO THE SOLUTION WHEREBY YOU CAN GET THEM ALL TO MATCH EACH GAME - THIS I ASSURE YOU)!!!

Monday, I'll send out a version with the solution to this (which shows the hidden numbering on the ease of solving this - of course with a password which I'll also supply) and a fix on a SMALL glitch. The small glitch does NOT affect the logic or solution in any way - it just doesn't turn the 2rd from the left nun color the same color as the rest if it happens to be the last one to click on in the solution even though you've completed the puzzle - again - it does NOT affect solving this and only happens if the 2rd nun is the last one to click on in the solution (i.e. you get the Congratulations - You've done it message but the nun didn't change color)!

I'm waiting until Monday morning to send out the solution to again, give time to our developers who were teasing me on creating puzzles way too easy to solve.

Here's a clue to solving this and I'll send out the solution version with the password Monday (this is so you can have fun with others on this). First, this is not an easy puzzle to solve (again intentionally made a little difficult because of the teasing) and in case one of them are reading this, I'm not giving out the full solution so they can admit defeat next Monday.

There's sort of 3 sets of logic patterns to solving this - two with clicking on 2 of the nuns, the other on clicking 4 nuns (1 of the nuns you don't click on). You CANNOT solve this by clicking new game to find a solution - this will only frustrate you more on finding the solution as a new "order" for 4 of the nuns per color is generated with each new game - but it DOES follow a pattern. Figuring out the pattern was the goal for our developers. Obviously a starting random color pattern is generated for all the nuns to start each new game.

Second, 4 of the nuns follow a certain "order" which again, is randomly generated for each color and on each new game (to make it challenging). You CAN solve this with 7-10 clicks from starting a new game (but not with less than 7 clicks unless you get lucky with the random generation of the colors). I made it intentionally so you could NOT figure this out by just repeatdly clicking the new game and then clicking on the same order each time - you have to figure out the order for the 4 nuns each new game which can easily be done once you know which ones are which.

Third, one of the nuns is a "key" nun to setting the color to work on (i.e. if you want to solve them all to the blue color or to the green color, etc. - you won't necessarily have the same solution/"order" of clicks for each color). This "key" nun determines the color and "order" to click on for 4 of the nuns. If you know what 4 nuns are randomly "ordered" each new game, solving this is much easier.

And last, if you make a mistake on clicking the nuns in a certain order for a certain color, you'll find that you are working on a "new order" (for the 4 nuns) for a different color and things get "shuffled" - (but also in a certain pattern for each color) (knowing the "key" nun to click on will help make it easier to determine which color you're working on and solving this for a specific color). The solution version will show you which color you're working on and let you easily solve this with a few clicks.

Sorry if this is frustrating and not fun to solve - I just wanted to make it challenging for all the teasing I was getting (they said all the puzzles online (i.e. lights On, lazer, telescope, etc. puzzles) were too easy to solve and they solved the last one I posted (Blue To Red) and all the others within a few minutes). I got tired of seeing NEXT PUZZLE (this one too easy) emails.

In regards to the Blue to Red puzzle...our developers solved it within 5 clicks (less clicks than the solution I even made!) and they solved it within 15 minutes after I gave it to them!
    Last edited by pkstormy; 08-19-06 at 01:25.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Quote Originally Posted by pkstormy
    Sorry - this email is posted for the nun puzzle....

I made this nun puzzle up within a few hours and created it difficult because our developers where getting cocky on saying they could solve and figure out whatever logic I could come up with providing it is solvable with some kind of pattern (they teased me to make it difficult). - Hopefully it's at least somewhat fun to try and solve but I assure you there is a pattern to the solution and it IS solvable within 7-10 clicks of starting a new game (I say 7-10 because 1 nun color is randomly generated by clicking on a specific nun)) and you DO need to find an "order" of 4 of the nuns (see below). But it IS solvable (it is NOT one of those UNSOLVABLE puzzles where you get "lucky" on the solution by randomly clicking the nuns hoping to get them to match - THERE IS A PATTERN TO THE SOLUTION WHEREBY YOU CAN GET THEM ALL TO MATCH EACH GAME - THIS I ASSURE YOU)!!!

Monday, I'll send out a version with the solution to this (which shows the hidden numbering on the ease of solving this - of course with a password which I'll also supply) and a fix on a SMALL glitch. The small glitch does NOT affect the logic or solution in any way - it just doesn't turn the rd from the left nun color the same color as the rest if it happens to be the last one to click on in the solution even though you've completed the puzzle - again - it does NOT affect solving this and only happens if the 2rd nun is the last one to click on in the solution (i.e. you get the Congratulations - You've done it message but the nun didn't change color)!

I'm waiting until Monday morning to send out the solution to again, give time to our developers who were teasing me on creating puzzles way too easy to solve.

Here's a clue to solving this and I'll send out the solution version with the password Monday (this is so you can have fun with others on this). First, this is not an easy puzzle to solve (again intentionally made a little difficult because of the teasing) and in case one of them are reading this, I'm not giving out the full solution so they can admit defeat next Monday.

There's sort of 3 sets of logic patterns to solving this - two with clicking on 2 of the nuns, the other on clicking 4 nuns (1 of the nuns you don't click on). You CANNOT solve this by clicking new game to find a solution - this will only frustrate you more on finding the solution as a new "order" for 4 of the nuns per color is generated with each new game - but it DOES follow a pattern. Figuring out the pattern was the goal for our developers. Obviously a starting random color pattern is generated for all the nuns to start each new game.

Second, 4 of the nuns follow a certain "order" which again, is randomly generated for each color and on each new game (to make it challenging). You CAN solve this with 7-10 clicks from starting a new game (but not with less than 7 clicks unless you get lucky with the random generation of the colors). I made it intentionally so you could NOT figure this out by just repeated clicking the new game and then clicking on the same order each time - you have to figure out the order for the 4 nuns each new game which can easily be done once you know which ones are which.

Third, one of the nuns is a "key" nun to setting the color to work on (i.e. if you want to solve them all to the blue color or to the green color, etc. - you won't necessarily have the same solution/"order" of clicks for each color). This "key" nun determines the color and "order" to click on for 4 of the nuns. If you know what 4 nuns are randomly "ordered" each new game, solving this is much easier.

And last, if you make a mistake on clicking the nuns in a certain order for a certain color, you'll find that you are working on a "new order" (for the 4 nuns) for a different color and things get "shuffled" - (but also in a certain pattern for each color) (knowing the "key" nun to click on will help make it easier to determine which color you're working on and solving this for a specific color). The solution version will show you which color you're working on and let you easily solve this with a few clicks.

Sorry if this is frustrating and not fun to solve - I just wanted to make it challenging for all the teasing I was getting (they said all the puzzles on-line (i.e. lights On, laser, telescope, etc. puzzles) were too easy to solve and they solved the last one I posted (Blue To Red) and all the others within a few minutes). I got tired of seeing NEXT PUZZLE (this one too easy) emails.

In regards to the Blue to Red puzzle...our developers solved it within 5 clicks (less clicks than the solution I even made!) and they solved it within 15 minutes after I gave it to them!

Don't be sorry I have a lot of fun with your puzzles, I was just teasing you a little. I'm still trying, I want to defeat it before Monday...I probably won't but it's fun trying. I wasn't mad or anything, I love to be changed it stimulates the brain cells. Alright I'm going to try once again...I'm sorry some folks tease you about your puzzles I love them, don't stop creating them, please or if you do stop posting them send them to me in a private message, I think they're fun, I've solved most but this one...arghhhh! I'm still trying that's the important part, right?

Keep on keeping on,
    One can never stop learning if they open their eyes every morning with optimism and hope...Bill R. Loy
    I have a 8 gigabyte mind in a 80 gigabyte world something is bound to be forgotten as I age serenely into senilaity....

Morath
    No matter what, the earth keeps spinning.