Unanswered: Check Constraints

Are check constraints being introduced in 5.0 of MySQL? I saw some webpages that seem to say that's the case, but when doing a search on the MySQL website, no hits seem to come up for check constraints.

Have check constraints already been introduced, or are they planning to be introduced anytime soon?

It seems like a pretty basic and commonly used feature, so I'm surprised that it's not present in MySQL...what do you do to get around it? Triggers?

Thanks.

no

get around it with application code in most cases, foreign key to lookup table in some cases
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

When you say application code, you mean assume that the DB has 'unchecked' data (i.e. not passed through CHECK constraint, such as assuming a number is less than 1000), and instead check for the values in the application code itself?

yup, you got it -- when i said application code, that's what i meant

except the application code wouldn't actually let the unchecked data get into the database in the first place
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

In the following link, under "New Features in MySQL 5.1", it says "Column level constraints"...is this a CHECK constraint, or something else?

http://www.databasejournal.com/featu...le.php/2210771

note the date on that article -- written back in the steam-powered web server days

always go to the source -- in this case the mysql.com site

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/...nts-table.html
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca