Unanswered: Maint. Plan Help

I need to set up a Maintenance Plan on a 6.5 DB. I know the version is old but the customer cannot upgrade at this time. When I try and run the wizard to set it up I get a warning about running a plan on a DB that is larger that 400MB. Whats the deal? Thanks for the help!!

Quote Originally Posted by tallen
    I need to set up a Maintenance Plan on a 6.5 DB. I know the version is old but the customer cannot upgrade at this time. When I try and run the wizard to set it up I get a warning about running a plan on a DB that is larger that 400MB. Whats the deal? Thanks for the help!!
    As I recall (and it has been a while), one of the things that the maintenance plan will try to set up is an index reorg and (possibly) space reclamation. You don't want to touch either of these with your database. At least, I don't think you do. I would probably skip the maintenance plan wizard altogether and set up backup jobs to make sure your database is being backed up.

When I did this, I had to set up 5 backup devices (named FULL, 0600, 1200, 1800 and 0000). I then scheduled the full backup to write to the FULL backup device and four transaction log backups to write to the other four devices (at midnight, 6:00am, noon and 6:00pm). The backups would overwrite the files (so another process would have to copy the backup files to a remote location).

SQL 6.5. Ugh. It's the reason I drink so much now.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?