Question Unanswered: Replica -vs- MsSql Server

I am thinking about this, and would like any feed back on this. I am working on the same database, and I have been looking at the several ways to deploy the db.

1. Create replicas and place a replica on each terminal (laptop) it is needed on, using the built in feature to sync the db.
    2. set it up to use a MsSql backend, that it will run on.

The problem I see with this is the connection problems. The terminals will not be connected to the master db, or the MsSql backend at all times, unless I run a MsSql backend that is indendent on each system, and then once the terminal is connected to the main server, it can be synced, by clicking a button. The other question is: Is there a way to run the database on a MsSql system without it being hooked into the main database at all times. I do know that when I was working for the police department, we had a program that could run on our moblie laptops, and then synced at the end of our shifts. The program was call police pak, and also ran on a MsSql backend, I am not sure how this was accomplished.

The plus I see to this is a faster frontend for the users, the downside is I will be running around with 6 copies of the data on 5 terminals and 1 Main server.

can anyone help me figure out a better way.

Thanks
    Will Dove
    working hard is better then hardly working ...

Provided Answers: 1
    You could use SQL Express/MSDE and setup a pull subscription from your main MSSQL box. That's probably the most powerful and flexibile solution. Other options include stand-alone .mdb's that you write a synchronization routine for which would be triggered either by a winsheduled job, group policy or user input...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Where can I find info on SQL Express and MSDE

Also, any samples for the stand-alone .mdb, I would prefer mde's so that the coding can not be changed in the back

I have also considered a VPN for this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    You could use SQL Express/MSDE and setup a pull subscription from your main MSSQL box. That's probably the most powerful and flexibile solution. Other options include stand-alone .mdb's that you write a synchronization routine for which would be triggered either by a winsheduled job, group policy or user input...
    Will Dove
    working hard is better then hardly working ...