Talking Unanswered: Creating lines in crystal reports 8.5

Good morning all,

I am finally in a neighborhood where I am totally unfamiliar with anything. Just trying to communicate something to my Supervisor to pass on to the IT dept. They use Crystal Reports 8.5 presently and what I need to get done is to add lines between each record. This I can do easily in A2K just by drawing a line. How much trouble would it be for them to actually create a line between records? They seem to want to convince me it would be too much of a task to do that, but I don't think so. It would help our dept. as when people read across the page, a lot of white space, by the time they reach the figures on the other side, they are looking at the wrong number. Anyway, if someone can give me the basics on that and let me know if in fact it's a difficult thing to do or not I'd appreciate it.

thanks....now back to the Access forum
    BUD

Crystal Reports isn’t “harder” than Access for writing reports, it’s just different. As you know from Access, making a "simple" change can be as easy as a few clicks or a long slog of sample printouts, until the results are acceptable.

But, it sounds like you could start a departmental feud if you’re not careful. You don’t want to infer that IT is staffed by a bunch of loafers who couldn’t program their way out of a paper bag. Even if it is true. They probably have an old Pentium 166 that could find its way to your desk.

Your IT department probably has to jump through hoops make any change to management reports. It took them forever to get management to agree to the current format and will take another painful round of approvals to put the new version in place.

Follow the chain of command. Have your boss ask his boss “How useful is a report full of ‘white space’ ?” If his response is “Why don’t you just lay a straight edge on the page?”, then you’re dead meat. The higher the level of management that asks for the change, the more likely it is to get done.

If other people using the report are the cause of the “white space”, they’ll have to be involved in the redesign of the report.

If your department is the only one that uses this report, guess who will be assigned to work with the IT folks to redesign the report so it’s more useful.

Now, aren’t you glad you didn’t insult the IT guys?

Its very easy, just use the line control and draw a line below the record fields in the details section of your report in design view.
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    - Sir Winston Churchill
    Joydeep

I find it easier to gray bar my reports rather than add lines to seperate records.