Unanswered: Dropped lines when NULL ascii value in text file

Hello,

SQL SERVER 2000:
    My problem is that I have to process a special text file every day which contains 0 ASCII values to separate fields. The DTS import program drops everything after the ascii 0 value in the row, but of course I need the entire row with all fields.
    So how can I prevent the text file import task from dropping everything after the 0 ascii value?

Could you help me in this?

thank you

Provided Answers: 54
    Since NUL (a zero byte) is an EOF (End Of File) marker, I would expect the import to stop at that point. You mean that the import continues with the next line in the file ?!?!

-PatP

Yes, the importing process continues..and the DTS import task just drops the remaining part of the line after the ASCII 0 character.
    So all the rows that contain a 0 ASCII character at some point will be just partly imported. I need to somehow ignore this 0 ASCII character..

any ideas?

You're losing me on the ASCII 0 thing....can you present us a select statement as to what the value is?

And where is this file coming from?
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Provided Answers: 11
    Weird...
    Code:
    select char(65) 
    	+ char(0) 
    	+ char(66)
    Commenting out the second line you get to see the "B".

I don't know of any way to get DTS to process a file containing NUL values. You'll probably need to pre-process those into some other character (I'd suggest using TAB or 0x09) using a client-side tool (I'd pick Perl as my first choice, and C as my second, but I'm a geek).

-PatP

ok, so the only way is to write an ActiveX script that replaces the NUL (ASCII 0) chars in the text file, saves it to a temporary file that can be imported by DTS?

That is the only way that I know how to make it happen. NUL characters are problematic for just about everything that is written in C, or based on tools that were written in C.

-PatP

ok, thank you for the help! I'll preprocess the text file then before importing.