Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    austin
    Posts
    146

    Unanswered: ODBC--update on a linked table 'table name' failed

    linked table with a unique key from sql server ...

    i can add records to the table but when i change forms and try to update records i get the following message:

    ODBC--update on a linked table 'table name' failed
    [microsoft][odbc sql server driver]timeout expired(#0)

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    austin
    Posts
    146
    :banging head against desk:


    Options --> Advanced
    Default record locking
    select Edited record


    I've been messing with this for sooooo long....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    21
    I have the same issue, after looking at this forum I decided that it was not solverable and therefore reduced the size of the queries I was using to update a sub-set of the data. It worked and I thought I had seen the back of it. Oh no, it happaned again.

    Before I was running it against 15,000 records.

    Now I am running against a max of 257 records in any one go.

    Anway I ran it a few times and it failed, I was gob-smacked, anyway after trying a few more times I wondered if there was some issue with the data, so I ran again to work out approximately where it happanend and then I was going to check if I had got into some loop with my code, note that I added province to stop the issue.

    DoCmd.RunSQL ("UPDATE [Unit Details] INNER JOIN [Military Organisation] ON [Unit Details].[Province based] = [Military Organisation].Province SET [Unit Details].[Unit Command Adjustment] = ((([Military Organisation]![Change to Organisation]*0.5)+[Military Organisation]![Change to Morale]+([Military Organisation]![Change to Discipline]*0.5)+([Military Organisation]![Change to Experience]*2)+([Military Organisation]![Change to Vitality]*2)+[Military Organisation]![Change to Sword Training]+[Military Organisation]![Change to Spear Training]+[Military Organisation]![Change to Javelin Training]+[Military Organisation]![Change to Bow Training])/(([Morale])+([Disipline]*0.5)+([Organisation]*0.5)+([Experience]*2)+([Vitality]*2)+([Sword Training])+([Spear Training])+([Javelin Training])+([Bow Training]))) " & _
    "WHERE ((([Unit Details].[Apply Military Organisation])=True) AND (([Unit Details].[Province based])=" & "'" & Province & "'" & "));")
    Anyway next thing I know Windows Explorers reports that it has to close down due to some error when I moved to another form.

    I went back to the form and ran it again and would you believe it the damn thing worked. Now this makes me believe that it is one of those Windows bugs that absolutely kills you.

    Perhaps if you force Windows Explorer to close and run again it will work, it would be interesting to see that. I wonder if it is something akin to that insufficient databases issue that we get when linking a front end Acceess database to a back end Access database. In that it has too many tables open.

    This might not help, but perhaps it will stop you head-butting the desk, I was too...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •