Unanswered: Building my database the right way

Hey,

To begin I still consider myself a newbie when it comes to databases. I know the general stuff like primary keys and relasionships, but would like some good advice.

I have been asked to design a database in mysql which will store the data for a website. Now before I start I want to make sure I do this the best way, as this site has the potential of becoming very big and collecting a lot of data so I dont want to have any issues down the line from designing a bad database.

Can anyone point in the direction of a good article or tutroial that will help me out? They are heaps available using a google search but dont know the best one to choose.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

the design of the database depends on what kind of web site it is

hot-or-not pics? blog? topsites directory? affiliate links? myspace clone? ecommerce site?

the process goes like this -- find out what data has to be stored in the database for that particular web site, then design accordingly

do you want a tutorial on the data modelling process?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Hey,

Well the database is basically for a sports record site. All sports results from a number of sports will be stored in the database. So as you can image it will only store text.

Anytime someone on the website wants results it will be pulled from the database. So thats why i want to ensure that i build it right, as if alot of people start using the site I would not like to have any performance issues,

yeh the tutorial would be great...where can i get it from?

thanks for your help.

only text? i really have a hard time picturing a sports website without scores, and scores are numeric, aren't they?

Introduction to Data Modeling
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

ahh come on you know what i mean, text = data, no images..

sorry should have been more specific.

thanks for the tut.