Question Unanswered: Populating a SQL DB from Access

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to populate a SQL DB everytime you update an Access DB? or vice versa? This would eliminate having to do double manual updates. If this is possible and anyone knows of any good websites or tutorials I could read it would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance.

Do you mean something besides linked tables?
    Inspiration Through Fermentation

Sorry if I had explained this poorly. I'm an intern and I know what I want to do, but I'm still learning alot and I have trouble explaining things. Populate is the wrong term to use. What I mean is...
    The company I work for has a DB on SQL Server and they want me to create an access DB including the SQL tables, but many other new tables that the SQL DB does not have. I know how to link the SQL Tables to the Access database, but what I'm trying to do is automatically update the Access DB if someone updates a corresponding SQL table.. Is this done by linked tables or is there another method???

Thanks again!

Do you have some aversion to creating more SQL tables? You could then
    use triggers to update table1 whenever table2 is updated.

Otherwise, I can't think of a way to automatically update an Access table whenever a SQL table is updated. You could do something like that with a scheduled SQL job (DTS package), but I don't know if you can cause it to be real-time: ie call a DTS from an UPDATE trigger.
    Inspiration Through Fermentation

A different deparment handles the SQL DB, so we would have to get there permission to create more tables inside that database.. To make a long story short it just isn't possible. Thanks for the info you gave me here, it helps a lot!

Provided Answers: 1
    Use an ADP?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Provided Answers: 6
    When you say "update", do you mean changes to the structure of the table, or simply data related updates (add/edit/delete)? Data updates would be visible through linked tables (or other methods).

Teddy, ADP not practical given the requirement of non-SQL Server tables.
    Paul