View Poll Results: Pure database solution or "Java Content Repository" for a ECM projet?

5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pure database solution using stored procedures heavily and...

5 100.00%
  • database neutral solution such as Jackrabbit (an implementation of JCR)

1 20.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Post Unanswered: Pure database solution vs "Java Content Repository"? Not a real question...

Hi all,
    Sorry for linking this somewhat off topic here, but I am in position to make a decision of using a pure database-oriented solution (ok by some O/R mapping fluff!) vs using a database neutral one: using "Java content repository" in a J2EE project.
    I have no experience with this latter one and ideas seem somewhat risky for me. I have read many of Tom Kyte's statements about why you should consider a database-oriented solution seriously but maybe you have further notes about using this new technology in an ECM (Enterprise Content Management).
    This could be a rather nice introduction to java content repository.

-Good luck!

Provided Answers: 8
    My personal opinion would be to go for a "normal" database implementation, maybe coupled with XSLT to support transition to other formats (actually I did just that, but mainly because 2 years ago there was nothing like JSR 170).

But then I don't know the environment where your system will be running.

Does your system need to talk to other systems?
    It might be sufficient to have a generic XML export that those systems can re-use. But maybe the other systems need to access your content concurrently and a simple export and push of XML files is not enough, then you would need to develop an interface (using Servlets and XML over HTTP or even a WebService) that they can use. Using a JSR repository would enable them to access your content directly without the need for you to implement something.

In general I'd go for the simplest solution, which the JSR stuff usually doesn't qualify for
    But there might other requirements that you have to consider.

One thing to consider as well: how many features will you get "out-of-the-box" if go for something like Jackrabbit. Things like versioning are quite complicated to implement once you dig into it. So the more complex your requirements are and the closer they are to an existing implementation, the simple solution could actually be to use Jackrabbit.
    Last edited by shammat; 08-15-06 at 05:31.