Unanswered: Queries on Selecting Pervasive SQL for Web Development

Hi,

Thanks to you all in advance. I have big query list. Since I am new to Pervasive SQL though I am using MS SQL Server for a long period.

Our client is currently using Pervasive SQL 2000i for the past few users for a ERP Application. This Applicaiton is developed using Visual Basic. The VAccess Component was used to interact with the Pervasive Database

Currently we are planning for a new Web Based application. This application will require to pick few data from the existing ERP Application. One of the development platform we have chosen for developing the Web Application is ASP.NET. We are also having future plans to upload this application to the Internet. We are planning for a Relational Database approach.

I had the following queries regarding Pervasive SQL 2000i.

1. Does Pervasive SQL 2000i support all SQL Statements? Which standard of SQL does it support?
    2. Does Pervasive SQL 2000i support ADO.NET?
    3. Is the Pervasive 2000i database secure enough to be exposed to the internet?
    4. What are the advantages I get if we upgrade Pervasive SQL 2000i to the latest version?
    5. Is there any seperate Licensing involved for development in .NET and also to expose the database to Internet? If any other licensing or any other components is required could you send us the information?
    6. How many unique indexes can be created on one table in Pervasive SQL?
    7. Is it possible to have Pervasive SQL 2000i and Pervasive SQL 9.5 run in the same server?
    8. What are the other components or Add-ons I may require for developing a Web Based Application using .NET and Pervasive SQL? Do send me the pricing also.
    9. Is there any known shortfalls in using .NET and Pervasive SQL together?
    10. What is the methodology I need to adopt if I need to utilise the Transactional Model approach Of Pervasive to develop the web based application? Which is the best methodology to be used Transactional OR Relational?

Thanks again

Regards,
    Samson
    KISL Technologies

Provided Answers: 4
    1. It supports full SQL. Check out the PSQL documentation (SQL Language Reference) for the full syntax.
    2. Only through the ODBC driver. There's no "Psql" namespace for 2000i.
    3. That's a vague question. The database itself it only as secure as how it's set up.
    4. Support. Bug fixes. Support. ADO.NET provider. Support. OS support (2000i had limited support for newer OSes like Win2003).
    5. You'd need to talk to a sales rep at Pervasive but there is an "Internet/intranet license".
    6. The files can have 119 index segments.
    7. No, it is not possible.
    8. Just your compiler.
    9. Not that I'm aware of. I'm in the process of developing a C# application and haven't run into anything specific.
    10. Which ever method you are most comfortable with.
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.

Hi Mirtheil,

Thanks for your responses. It has been of great help to me.

Just one more query.

Would you suggest me to upgrade to the Latest version, Or will Pervasive SQL 2000i itself be good enough. Do I gain commendably by doing an upgrade?

Regards,
    Samson

Provided Answers: 4
    I still use Btrieve 6.15 for some of my Btrieve API programs. I also have PSQL v8 and V9. For .NET development that I'm working on, I'm using PSQL 9.5. It's the current version, has the advantage of being fully supported by Pervasive, has the ADO.NET provider, and seems to be very stable.
    I don't use PSQL 2000 at all. It's not supported at all by Pervasive (V8 is in Transition support) and usually recommend moving off 2000i if at all possible.
    Mirtheil Software
    Certified Pervasive Developer
    Certified Pervasive Technician
    Custom Btrieve/VB development
    http://www.mirtheil.com
    I do not answer questions by email. Please post on the forum.