Provided Answers: 12

Unanswered: Problem installing 8.1 on Windows XP

Hello,

I wanted to install DB2 PE 8.1 on my laptop (Windows XP, SP2). The account that I'm using to install it, is a domain account which has local administrator rights on that computer. However the 8.1 setup refuses to run because "the user account has to be a Member of the Adminstrators group"

Any ideas how I can convince the setup that I'm am indeed a member of the local Adminstrators group?

Logon as 'administrator'...

Provided Answers: 12
    Thanks for the answer.

The problem is, that I can't. As I said it's a domain controlled computer, and I do not have the Adminstrator password.

I used the same install on a W2K machine using an account (non-domain login) that was part of the administrator group as well (but was not "administrator") so I'm assuming that it should work.

If this really is the solution, then I guess I have to live without DB2 on that computer.

But if you've got administrator priviliges on the local computer why don't you create a local admin account then and try to install the stuff using that?
    Here's a section about installing DB2 from http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoce.../v8//index.jsp, 'Installing' -> 'Database systems' -> DB2 servers' -> 'DB2 UDB Workgroup Server Edition' -> 'Windows':
    Code:
    Required user accounts for installation of DB2 servers (Windows) 
    If you are installing on Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows
    Server 2003, you require the following DB2 server user accounts: 

• an installation user account and
    • one or more setup user accounts
    • a DB2 Administration Server (DAS) user account
    • a DB2 instance user account.
    The installation user account must be defined prior to running the DB2 Setup wizard. The setup user accounts can be defined prior to installation or you can have the DB2 Setup program create them for you. All user account names must adhere to your system naming rules and to DB2 naming rules. DB2 enhanced security on Windows DB2 now offers enhanced Windows security. You can install DB2 with a user ID, but unless that user ID belongs to either the DB2ADMNS or DB2USERS group, that user ID won't be able to run any DB2 commands. The DB2 installer creates these two new groups. You can either use a new name or accept the default names. To enable this security feature, select the Enable operating system security check box on the Enable operating system security for DB2 object panel during the installation of DB2. Accept the default values for the DB2 Administrators Group field, and the DB2 Users Group field. The default group names are DB2ADMNS and DB2USERS. If there is a conflict with existing group names, you will be prompted to change the group names. If required, you can specify your own values. DB2 server user accounts Installation user account A local or domain user account is required to perform the installation. The user account must belong to the Administrators group on the machine where you will perform the installation. For domain accounts, to verify userIDs on the DB2 server, the installation userID must belong to the Domain Administrators group on the domain where the accounts are going to be created. You may also use the built-in LocalSystem account to run the installation for all products except DB2 UDB Enterprise Server Edition.
    I'm not sure this will do the trick but it seems very likely.

Regards
    Last edited by Tyveleyn; 08-16-06 at 06:08.