Question Unanswered: I need some assistance.

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some clever ideas to help solve a pretty confusing issue to me.. I'm currently interning for a software developing company. They have given me a project over the summer to begin to create a database about their software. I'm not going to sit here and explain my entire database because that's not what my problem is about. But lets say you have four different versions your supporting currently. In the latest two software versions they started to rename the store procedures(v3 and v4).. So for example. v2 stored proc is called stored_proc1 and v3 is called stored_proc1_DM. They do not want to lose the old versions because they want to be able to see how the software evolved. So I have many stored procs in my table that are basically the same but they just have a different names....

Is this the only way to do this or is there a better way?

Thanks in advance!

Provided Answers: 1
    CVS and visual source safe come to mind...

Otherwise, welcome to the hell that is attempting to implement recursion in JET-SQL, not pretty.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Well we use something called ClearCase.. Which is very similar to the above suggestions you had.. What I'm doing now is going to the different versions on ClearCase and doing a directory dump into MS Excel. Then I'm importing the Excel Spreadsheet as say v1.. I'm repeating this for all my versions. Then I'm creating a Union Query of all the version tables and using this as my stored proc tbl.. Would you go about this in a different way or would you use my technique?

Thanks,

I would definetely recommend Visual Source Safe if they will purchase off-the-shelf software for you.

VSS is essentially a "database" of prior version and can even be used to control multiple-users working on the same projects with a "check-out check-in" process.

tc

I'm don't understand what you're attempting to achieve in your excel sheets that you can't get from a versioning platform? Are there some value-add features that you're trying to implement?

Sorry, I'm somewhat confused myself.. That is why I'm having difficulty explaining it.. I think my fear is that these spreadsheets will be static data in my database. I was wondering if it would be possible if I could make then dynamic by coding some kind of sort/search algorithm.

So, it would open up the specific version folder and compare the contents of the directory with the contents of my table and it would add contents to my table if it doesn't exsist, but it would leave contents that it couldn't match up in ClearCase.. Hopefully I explained it better..

Is this possible?

So... you want to create a replica of what's in ClearCase... to do what?