Unanswered: Accessing MS-Access database remotely from ASP.NET

Hi,

I have 2 systems which have public(static) IPs. One system is a Windows XP system hosting the ASP.NET site. The other system is a Windows 95 system having Ms-Access 97. The ASP.NET application needs to pull data from MS-Access on Windows 95 system.

I need help on how to connect these 2 systems remotely.

Any help regarding this would be appreciated!!

Thanks in advance,
    Sriram.

Not sure if I understand what "connect these 2 systems remotely" means, but it sounds like you want to create linked tables from the older database to the newer one.

I'm not sure how high of a level MS Access will allow linked tables to a '97 version (you didn't mention which version of Access is on the XP system). Depending on where on the network these are, you may want to use a UNC path when linking.

Also, are you going to be writing back to the '97 database from the newer one?

Hope this puts you on the right track...
    Kael Dowdy, MCSD, MCDBA

Provided Answers: 1
    Good luck.

The question is "how do you access ANYTHING on Windows 95 from Windows XP?"
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

LOL!

Sounds like an interesting arrangement anyway...with XP box running a webserver in a production environment (assuming that's how it is...)

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    Good luck.

The question is "how do you access ANYTHING on Windows 95 from Windows XP?"
    Kael Dowdy, MCSD, MCDBA

I'll explain the scenario in detail.

I have an ASP.NET application running on Windows XP system which is on a static IP. (example say 202.53.50.70).

The second system, a windows 95 system which also is on a static IP (say 220.226.148.64) located in an entirely different location has MS-ACCESS 97 database on it.

Now the ASP.NET application needs to pull the data from the MS-ACCESS 97 to display the reports.

So i need the connection string on how to connect to the database remotely since these both are on two different static IPs.

I tried with the following connection string in web.config file of the ASP.NET applicatoin.

Provider=MS Remote; Remote Server=http://220.226.148.64; Remote Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=D:\pos.mdb;Persist Security Info=False"

The application could open the connection and connect to the database but failed to retrieve the data. The Error prompted was "Specified Cast Not Valid".

Hope the picture is clear now.

What was the query you used?

I think he can't even connect, and tried using the provider.... line to make the connection.
    Ryan
    My Blog

got it finally!

with the connection string as

Provider="Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=\\<<IpAddress>>\pos\pos.mdb;"

I have made the folder "pos" as shared and i access it using windows authentication..

Now i'm able to connect to the database and retrieve data. And the reason for having XP instead of 2000/2003 server is, there is only one user accessing the ASP.NET application.

Does anyone forsee any security threat because of sharing the directory on a public ip?

Anytime you expose resources to an externally facing IP there are definate security concerns.

You should restrict access for that directory to the ASPNET user account only, which is what IIS acts under for accessing UNC shares unless you've enabled delegation in AD and impersonation in your web.config file.

Hi Sriram,

I tried connecting to a database using the same path as you mentioned in the example. My connection string is as follows:

Provider="Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=\\<<192.168.10.121>>\test_db.mdb;"

Now when I try to connect to the database, I receive an OleDbException: "Not a valid file name" whereas the file name is fully valid.

What am I missing here?

Help

Hi Sriram,

I am tring it using VB6.0 but I am getting following error.
    Ineternet server error : object/module not found error no 8209

Can you please share the steps for the remote server and the application.

also share the code if possible.'

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by sriram.putrevu View Post
    got it finally!

with the connection string as

Provider="Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0; Data Source=\\<<IpAddress>>\pos\pos.mdb;"

I have made the folder "pos" as shared and i access it using windows authentication..

Now i'm able to connect to the database and retrieve data. And the reason for having XP instead of 2000/2003 server is, there is only one user accessing the ASP.NET application.

Does anyone forsee any security threat because of sharing the directory on a public ip?