SQL Server 2005 table:

id int
    title nvarchar 150
    bodycopy text 16
    image nvarchar 150
    summary text 16
    author nvarchar 150

Query:

SELECT [id], [title], [image], [author], [bodycopy], [summary] FROM [tblStories] WHERE [id]=2

Problem:

Any field following a text field in the query is.. empty. There's data in the table, I can run the query in Query Analyser direct and get everything. I've tried swapping the order of fields round in the query, and the problem persists.

I suspect that this isn't a SQL Server issue, but an ADODB one. And I'm sure I've seen it before. But Google doesn't appear to have done, and I'm at a loss as to how to fix it (other than running seperate queries - not ideal).

Anyone shed any light?

Provided Answers: 1
    Can you post a sample of a record you get in your application vs. the record received in QA as well as the method you are using to pull in the recordset?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Suggested workaround: put text field last...

I encountered this problem earlier this year and found a workaround (never did figure out what the root cause was, but I got it working). The trick is to always request ALL the fields by name (do NOT use *) and ALWAYS put the text field LAST in the SELECT statement.

Try this:

SELECT [id], [title], [image], [author], [summary], [bodycopy] FROM [tblStories] WHERE [id]=2

If you have a table with two text fields, you're gonna be out of luck, I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    Can you post a sample of a record you get in your application vs. the record received in QA as well as the method you are using to pull in the recordset?
    Code:
    class databaseInterface

public oCn	'	global connection object

private sub Class_Initialize()
    	set oCn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
      	oCn.Open "DRIVER={SQL Server};SERVER=******;DATABASE=******;UID=******;PWD=******"
    end sub

private sub Class_Terminate()
    	if isObject(oCn) then
      		oCn.close
    		set oCn = nothing
    	end if
    end sub

public function QuerySQL(ByVal sSQL)
    	dim oRs
    	set oRs = oCn.execute(sSQL)
    	if not oRs.EOF then
    		QuerySQL = oRs.getRows()
    	else
    		QuerySQL = sSQL
    	end if
    end function

end class

'=======================

set oDB = new databaseInterface
    aStoryInfo = oDB.QuerySQL("SELECT [id], [title], [image], [author], [summary], [bodycopy] FROM [tblStories] WHERE [id]=2")
    set oDB = nothing

Results-wise... what can I say? In QA, I see the text data. In my application, the value comes back as an empty string.