Question Unanswered: Windows Network UserID to Plain English Email name

My problem is I have a routine wihtin MS Access that populates a field with the current windows logged on user id (i.e. 5 digit alpha numeric). What I now want to do is check that name (similar to the Outlook check name function) so that it then populates another field with the plain English name.
    E.g. User ID: AB12C Name: Dent, Arthur.

Note I (nor any of the planned users) do not have admin privileges to the network, so the only method (manual) is to paste the userid into an email which will "convert" the userid to the name.

Why? - I am creating a database and using this method to lock in an audit trail. The userid is sufficient for this purpose but as stated above is not particularly user friendly.

Does anyone know of a solution?

Thanks in advance.

Create a "User" table that contains the network user id, and the name as you want to see it. Just query that table right after you get your user id.
    Inspiration Through Fermentation

Or, if you want to be more fancy, access the active directory. You can google for methods (keywords: VB programmatic LDAP etc). I am afraid I have only done this in .NET not classic VB so I can't help much with code or links.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Outlook name

I have a sample of a way to do this at home. I will try and send it tonight.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Outloook

Meanwhile, this might get you started in the right direction. It accesses Outlook's appointment calendar but I'm sure you can utilize it to somehow retrieve the First and Last Name. Just look at the commands available in the code and try a few new commands out.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Thumbs up Thanks for the replies.

Thanks to all who replied, sorry for the slow response but I have been off sick for a while.

RNG:- Sorry little thing of details... while in dev the users base is low, once in prod the user base may be random X<100 users of a possible 28,000 plus employees. I don't plan to administer (or type) that many names! I was handed this little task as "Hey - YOU know something about access...." I plan to try to make it robust and self sufficient enough that I will be able to hand it off to anyone who is even remotely capable of using a mouse... Of course like all dilbert exchanges this one has the added plus that ALL the enterprise bosses want to play with it... hence robust and the fact that I will have no idea what their USerID is to cross correlate to a name... but that doesn't stop me wanting to know who changed that costing on project x.

pkstormy - Thanks, will look at and let you know how I progress.

Thanks again for lift in the right direction.

May the farce be with you...but never against you.