Thread: tablespace copy

Unanswered: tablespace copy

how do you copy a tablespace in a database on a server to another server please?

Use transportable tablespace option of exp/imp. If you are using 10g, use datapump.

tablespace

Hi,
    I am a total beginner in Oracle.
    How do i get to "Use transportable tablespace option of exp/imp"
    I think the version I am using is 8
    Thanks

Use select * from v$version to get the version you are in.

Transportable tablespace is an option available in export/import to facilitate tablespace exp/imp and it's much quicker than exp/imp as this would be updating the dictionary directly and the time taken is the time for copying the files physically. I am sure it's available in 8i and above, not sure abt 8. You can type exp help=y to see the availability of the option.

Transportable tablespace requires various checks like dependency of the objects in the tablespace, owner of the objects in the tablespace etc to be taken care of. Please refer to the document available at Oracle site. However, if you are a beginner I would suggest you to not attempt it in production as it could get a little nasty.

Thanks,

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by fmardani
    Hi,
    I am a total beginner in Oracle.
    How do i get to "Use transportable tablespace option of exp/imp"
    I think the version I am using is 8
    Thanks

Transportable tablespaces are only from versio 9i+, so just read the manual!

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb