Unanswered: MySQL on windows server

As a complete newbie to MySQL, only having used Ms Access before, I'm finding it impossible to get MySQL 4 or 5 working on my windows server.

(I have a windows server running windows 2003 web edition server that is a dedicated server under my control.)

I've followed the excellent installation guide from the MySQL site and get to the point where the server is running but then I get stuck.

The problem is that I simply don't know what I am doing or what I'm supposed to do nextwith regard to MySQL.
    I was sort of hoping for some type of GUI but that doesn't seem to be an option.

Apologies for being so dim but I would be grateful if someone would take pity on me as I do need something more expansive than access.

One last thing..........should I be looking at Ms SQL Server Express instead?

Thanks for any help.
    Brian.

If you completed the installation, ran the instance configuration wizard, which let you assign a root password, then started the service... all you need to do is start creating databases, users, tables...

There are two GUI tools that are very useful, available on the mysql web site. See the Administrator and Query Browser (also see the Migration Toolkit to let you deal with your existing Access work) - http://www.mysql.com/products/tools/

Initially, logon in the Administrator using your root username and root password. You can then create databases and create and assign users. If you want to experiment, I have found using your favorite scripting language (ASP/PHP) better than typing statements into the query browser because with ASP/PHP the source code is down in a file, where you can copy/paste/change it/reuse it/build on it...

should I be looking at Ms SQL Server Express instead?
    If you're using the database for academic use, mySQL is the best with full functionalities and free. You can also use Oracle 10g Xpress Edition. That's also easy to use and it's fast and free.

Thanks very much for this.
    The GUI's at MySQL site look like the type of thing but after installing it I realize that I still dunno what I'm doing.

I can't even get as far as the illustration shown in the screenshot for MySQL Administrator on the MySQL website.
    All I can get to is a dialogue box asking me for details to log on to the Administrator, like so.

When I right click on the MySQL icon in the taskbar and select 'MySQL Administrator' I am presented with a dialogue box asking me for:

Stored Connection
    Server Host
    Username
    Password

a) Unfortunately, I don't know what a Stored connection is,
    b) Unless Server Host means my servers IP address I am unsure about this,
    c) I was never asked by the installation wizard for a username when setting up MySQL.

When I set MySQL up using the installation wizard I was only asked for a Root password.

I'm obviously missing the plot here.........sorry again
    Last edited by brian2000; 08-30-06 at 08:36.

Ignore the stored connection dialog box for now.

If the mysql server is running on the same computer you are using to connect to the server, enter localhost for the Server Host. If the mysql server is running on a different computer than the one you are using to connect to it, you would enter the IP address or the DNS name of the computer the mysql server is running on.

For the root user, the username is root

The password is the root password you created when installing the mysql server.

Red face

Oho dbmab, that's cool.
    Now I've got an Administration dialogue box and I've created a new user called Brian with a seperate password.

Still haven't figured out how to create databases yet but before I start on that, I am somewhat confused about something (apart from my general confusion.)

As this is a dedicated server solely for hosting my different websites, I have all the operating files under c:\ and all the domains under a 'D:\' partition on the hard drive like so: (D:\home\mainsites\thedomains.com)

As far as I know, localhost is c:\inetpub\wwwroot and that's where I've been pointing users.

Doesn't this cause a conflict?...........for instance, will I be able to run a MySQL driven forum in a website that is located at D:\htdocs\home\mainsites\acme.com using the set up I have now.

Thanks again for all your help. I really am grateful

You have to decide which front-end you want to use. MySql works in most cases along with php and the Apache webserver. This doesn't mean that you cannot use it with IIS as you tried, although I've never done it. I am not aware of a forum running under IIS and MySql, maybe there is one. Generally asking, what are you looking for, what is your purpose?

Localhost is just a name that resolves to the local loopback ip address of 127.0.0.1.

The mysql server is running as a service that is listening to the tcp/ip traffic on port 3306 (by default.) A web server is running as a service that is listening to the tcp/ip traffic on port 80 (by default.) There is no conflict.

The folder that the web server serves documents out of is not really what "localhost" is.

Thanks nst2 and dbmab.

Quote Originally Posted by nst2
    .....forum running under IIS and MySql, maybe there is one. Generally asking, what are you looking for, what is your purpose?
    There's a forum by webwiz ( http://www.webwizguide.info/web_wiz_...load.asp?mode= ) which I've used for various sites. It is an 'ASP' forum and has the option of being Access, Ms SQL Server, or MySQL driven.
    I've previously used Access but that won't be any use for the next project.

To set the forum up, I have to have MySQL installed with a blank database.
    The forum has a setup file that promulgates the MySQL database, so I don't need to understand how MySQL works, I just need to get to the stage where I can create a blank database.

Obviously in the longer term I want to get to grips with MySQL but in the first instance I'd like to be able to set up this forum.
    My thoughts are that once I have the forum running I will be able to investigate the database that has been created for it which will help me learn through example, in addition to the 3 books I've bought. (Which unfortunately don't say anything about setting up MySQL)

If you are still at the "create a database" stage, here is a step by step -

Click the "Catalogs" icon.

Right-click in a blank area of the window that opened on the bottom-left under "Schemata"

Select the "Create New Schema" item and enter a name in the dialog box.

Go back and click the "User Administration" icon.

If you have already created a user you want to use, click once to select it.

Select the "Schema Privileges" tab.

Select the Catalog/Database you want this user to have access to under the "Schemata" list. The current "Assigned Privileges" and "Available Privileges" will be shown. Use the "arrow" buttons to give this user the "Assigned Privileges" you want. For the purpose of installing a script and setting up the tables in the database, you will typically assign all the privileges. If you want to tighten security later you can remove un-needed privileges, but determining which ones any application uses is something you would need to determine (most authors of scripts don't bother to document this.)

Click "Apply Changes" when you are done.

You are done...

Thanks for this dbmab
    This really has to be the coolest forum with the most helpful people on the net.
    I'll get right on to it tomorrow................It's summer in the UK and the sun's just come out.......................This occurence being so unusual, I better get some of it

All set up and working thanks to your step by step instructions dbmab.
    Now I can get on with sorting out site design and re-skinnining the forum.

One other thing interests me for now, then I'll shut up.

User Administration has a Resources tab.
    Are their any "normal" settings for the options: max_questions, max_updates, max_connections, max_user connections under it?

Quote Originally Posted by brian2000
    User Administration has a Resources tab.
    Are their any "normal" settings for the options: max_questions, max_updates, max_connections, max_user connections under it?
    The default zero values mean no restrictions. With a dedicated server, this is probably what you want.

If you set any of these limits and your script hits one of them you get a mysql_error returned to your script when you execute a query. Your script must then properly deal with outputting a message to the user that the "server is too busy, try again later..."