Unanswered: Migrating CLOB to Long

I have an Oracle 8.1.7 database that we are migrating to SQL 2000. The database has one table with a CLOB column. I cannot migrate the data using a DTS package because the CLOB column cannot be read within a recordset.

My current approach is to build a new table with identical structure, except to replace the CLOB column with a LONG. Then I would build a statement to cursor through the table with the CLOB and use functions from the dbms_lob package to read the CLOB data and insert it into the new table.

Is this approach sound or have I fundamentally misunderstood something in the process?

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

There are some third party tools that can handle your problem. See the following link for one. I found it fairly quickly on google.

http://www.realsoftstudio.com/faq.html
    Bill
    You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.

Quote Originally Posted by beilstwh
    There are some third party tools that can handle your problem. See the following link for one. I found it fairly quickly on google.
    Sorry, I should have clarified. This is a "baby" database; there are only two tables, no stored procs, no packages, nothing else.

I'm not thrilled with it, but our "partner" agency refuses to incorporate these two tables into their own internal structure. They want us to absorb the tables. Generally, we don't support Oracle -- we mostly run SQL in our prod environment.

Thanks for the tip; the cost is low enough that it may still be worth looking into.

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?