Unanswered: Playing a Gif file

I've searched and searched but I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. There's got to be an easy way (via an activeX control supplied with MSAccess) or some other easy way to get a *.gif file to show and play on a form. Does anybody know of an EASY way to do this (i.e. without a ton of code) and loading/pointing to the gif file and having to have it in a certain location. I want to embed it into the form and simply click a button which plays the gif file. Seems to me that with all the ActiveX control Microsoft supplies with MSAccess, one of them would allow the insertion of a gif file with the ability to play it. Again, I want this to be embedded into the form so the file doesn't have to exist in certain place.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Provided Answers: 19
    Never used this, but remembered that I had it bookmarked. Scroll down til you see the file marked Animated GIFs.

http://www.candace-tripp.com/pages/a...downloads.aspx
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Playing Gif files

Thanks for the reply Missingling but the site you refered me to requires an installation and registration of a dll to play a gif file in MSAccess. I need to do this solely without having to install anything external and just use what's available with the MSAccess package (there's got to be an included ActiveX which allows you to play gif files or some code which you don't have to REGISTER, etc..). Anyone??

Otherwise, I'll keep trying out each activeX that comes with MSAccess until I find one (which hopefully there is one.) I just can't fathom that it can't be done - there's got to be a way!
    Last edited by pkstormy; 09-05-06 at 16:59.

It seems bonkers that you can't play animated gifs in an Access form. Access 97, maybe I'd understand, but 2003, come on that's very poor.

Is/are the gifs bound or unbound?

If it's/they're unbound, then you could convert it/them to wmv files or swf files and embed them.

If they're bound you could create a webpage for each gif and store these webpages on a central server. Then you could, for each record, specify the path to the webpage and use Access's web conrrol to load the specific webpage that holds the gif.

Can you embed a webpage using OLE? If so, you maybe able to to it fully self-contained.

Gifs

Some good suggestions Goldy. I'll try them. It just seems to me though that there is an activeX control in MSAccess that is unexplored which allows you to play gif files (bound or unbound). I'm not that familiar with all the activeX controls MSAccess ships with but I'll keep hunting and pecking to see if I can find one to do the job. I know with vb I was able to use a web type activeX control which let me view the gif playing but I couldn't find the same control in MSAccess. Only problem with the vb control was that you couldn't embed the gif picture into the application so it had to be a file in a directory with the exe application.

Who knows, maybe somebody decided to sue Microsoft again to disallow this capability like the excel lawsuit. I'm all for people getting what's due to them which they've developed but I don't understand why that technology has to suddenly disappear out of the Microsoft product (I know - Bill Gates is already too rich and stolen too much technology) but the products Microsoft has developed has also made all of us a lot of money and/or gave us jobs we never would have had if Microsoft never came about.

lebans.com has some animated GIF stuff in VB. he notes some issues with A, but maybe it gets you started.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2