Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    26

    Unanswered: Replication Issues

    I have an old Access database that I inherited from a guy who dropped dead from a heart attack. It is running in Access 2003, thought I think it was developed in Access 97.

    My basic problem is I wanted to make a simple change to a report, however, when I try to make the change and save the report, nothing happens. I think this is because the db is a replica. The db that I think is the master won't open, presumably because it is corrupt.

    I have tried:
    - setting SetWarnings True to see if I am missing an error message.
    - Opening exclusive, but I get the same issue. Also I have tried opening with the shift key held down.
    - Copying the report, but I get an error. "Name conflicts with existing module, project or library." I am sure I am using a unique name for the copy.
    - I can't do Tools/recover design master because the Tools menu is not visible. If I right click on the toolbar and drag the recover design master commmand up, then it is grayed out.

    It would be great if I could just get rid of any replication on this db -- I don't think I need it.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Somewhere on the 3rd Rock
    Posts
    93
    A simple way to fix this would be copy all the database objects into a new file.

    It can be time consuming, but you can get rid of the replication and still get around the design master issue.
    Will Dove
    working hard is better then hardly working ...

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    26
    Even if I copy the report into another blank db, I get the error message "Name conflicts with existing module, project or library".

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    3,926

    db

    You can try opening the master db from a command line with the /decompile parameter (I think or at least there are some other parameters you can use to get it open correctly and somehow fix some of the problems/debug and compile it).

    The error you stated sounds like it could be a coding type problem where possibly there are 2 functions with the same name or something like that with maybe the same name (i.e. a report name that is also a function, etc.).

    I agree though that you should get rid of replication - I've never been a fan of it and hate dealing with id fields that have numbers like -233432123433. Citrix or Terminal server or something else would be a better option verses replication. I'm a believer that you have static record identifiers which aren't randomly generated and such large numbers.

    If you have 2 different versions of MSAccess on your box, make sure you read my post on the problems with this (deals with importing forms/reports/modules). You must immediately debug after importing or you'll trash the db.

    Like saileast stated, if you can get this into a good copy of an mdb file by importing, half your work is done. The other half is dealing with the large record identifiers and converting them to static id/autonumber fields. This is a pain! Especially if there are relationships based on them. But you do need to do this off the master mdb. I think your kind of sunk if all you have is the replicas to work off of but others on this site might be able to help you out there. There might be a way and someone can respond to help you out there.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Tucson, Arizona
    Posts
    19
    I'm no expert, but I have torn my hair out over replicated databases. I had a similar problem, took me several days to figure out. What was happening when I'd import the database objects into a new database was, the new database would pull those replica fields on the tables in right along with everything else, and the same problems would be in the new database. What I ended up doing was to retype all the fields in the tables, then import all the other database objects. Worked like a charm.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    3,926
    I had to convert a replicated mdb to SQL Server which was partially relational and had about 2 dozen tables in it. Converting it to a static record identifier took me 2 whole weeks with the interface and all.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 10-05-06 at 01:34.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •