Unanswered: can we have two different fix pak in one box?

I use db2 v8 fix pak 9 and aix 5.2

My question is can we have two different fix pack for db2 in one box? if yes is it necessary I create new instance ? could you please help me how we can do that? I need to create two new databases with db2 v8 fix pak 9 and 10.

Thank you in advance for your help.

a] The default install path for db2 is /usr/opt/db2_08_01 and it remains the same for both 8.1 and 8.2, as far as I know. It could have been done for concurrent v7 and v8 installs.

b] You cannot have 2 databases under the same instance, one using one version and the other using another. Doesn't work that way since under sqllib , sqllib/admin, etc, they all point to the same binaries.

Quote Originally Posted by cchattoraj
    a] The default install path for db2 is /usr/opt/db2_08_01 and it remains the same for both 8.1 and 8.2, as far as I know. It could have been done for concurrent v7 and v8 installs.

b] You cannot have 2 databases under the same instance, one using one version and the other using another. Doesn't work that way since under sqllib , sqllib/admin, etc, they all point to the same binaries.
    So you believe that we should create new instance and the under new instance we can have new database with different fixpack, is it right?

No, because as I mentioned, the install path is the same. So this cannot be done on the same server.

If you use alternate fixpacks, then you can have multiple fixpacks installed, and each instance can point to whichever fixpack you want. This is controlled by the db2icrt command, by invoking it from the fixpack directory that you want to use.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Marcus_A, will appreciate if you can explain how to do this.

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...id=swg21112119

gives you an introduction to regular and alternate fixpaks ...

Sathyaram
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

This solution will only work on a unix or linux system, not on MS-Windows; essentially because the latter OS does not support dll versioning, so two different dll's with the same name would clash.
    (At least, this is my interpretation of why DB2 didn't provide the "alternate fixpack" concept on MS-Win).
    --_Peter Vanroose,
    __IBM Certified Database Administrator, DB2 9 for z/OS
    __IBM Certified Application Developer
    __ABIS Training and Consulting
    __http://www.abis.be/