Hello and question :p

Hey there, good to join another great community. I'm very very new to the whole database thing so I'm sure I will have lots of questions as time goes on, but be assured I can use the search funtion. Before I do that seeing as I'm already here I'll just ask about some stuff spacific to my situation.

I work in a research lab, and we keep a database of all our DNA samples that come in. But because this database is run with a really old program called RBASE. Now RBASE itself is really nice in the 7.5 incarnation...I think we are running 1.0. We have a 486 that we boot into DOS to run the program. It's the most sad situation I have ever seen. But because the big boss is smarter than everyone that's what we are sticking with. That being said we want to start a personal DB down the hall, but I don't know which database software would be the best for our situation. We have currently 30k+ samples in our old DB. I could see this getting a lot larger making Access out of the question (which it never really was to start with.) I'm thinking mySQL, but it would be nice to get some other options aswell before I start developing something from scratch.

You might also check Oracle Express Edition (XE) - free version, fully functional, can hold up to 4GB of data (it seems that your 30.000 samples is piece of a cake if compared to 4GB). Check it on the Oracle Technology Network.

As I've heard, MS SQL Server also offers the same as Oracle - free Express Edition database.

unless each of the 30K samples is over a megabyte, Access will quite easily support your data

mysql is a very good choice because it's so easy to set up (even a fool like me can do it) and of course it's lightening fast
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Yeah the 30k that we have now is pretty easy to handle, but we get in more samples all the time, and I could see the DB getting to be pretty big, and I don't want to run into any situations that might max anything out. I'll check out Oracle and mySQL today and see how they workout.

Sorry, but I would stay away from Oracle unless you have an Oracle dba on staff, or you want to become one. The administration of Oracle is no easy task.
    MySQL, or Access, or SQL Server Express would be better choices.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Yeah I think I like mySQL a little better. Now I just need to work on getting everything running like it should :-p

Make sure to check out DBDesigner it sits on top of MySQL and allows you to generate your MySQL DB from an ERD

I might add that the Oracle XE interface aint half bad considering its past.

I don't know why they insist on creation of tablespaces and databases being such smoke and mirrors crap.
    Last edited by certus; 09-08-06 at 00:54.

My personal choice is SQL Server Express because it easy and quick to make changes to the structure, pretty self-maintaining, and works well with MSAccess (i.e. upsizing wizard). But to each his own.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Quote Originally Posted by certus
    Make sure to check out DBDesigner it sits on top of MySQL and allows you to generate your MySQL DB from an ERD

I wouldnt bother with dbDesigner. it is noi longer supported, doesn't work with mor emodern versions fo MySQL.

Its in the process of being replaced by WorkBench by MySQL, which is being reeleased with the administrator & Query Browser. It isnt a finished product as yet

http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/gui-tools/5.0.html
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

Healdem, you have a vermin on your computer. Eats your letters

Hi healdem, made note and updated my version of MySQL.

Thanks.

Eeeech. Workbench is an Alpha version. Don't let it near your data.

Loaded with potential, nonetheless.