Unanswered: problem with CPU utilization

I have windows 2003 server with SQL Server installed on it for live calls billing but the CPU utilization is reaching the maximam and it's average above 60% which is causing lot of problems specially for the live environment. I have enough memory and free hard disk space is more than 40GB,

so where is the problem?!

Provided Answers: 11
    How much CPU is SQL Server taking (according to Task Manager)? Anything else installed on this box (IIS)?

If SQL Server is taking up the majority of the CPU, then run a few traces in profiler, to see what is doing all the work. Look for queries that run with more than say 100 reads. That may give you a place to start from.

wait!! wait!! wait!! plz

that's too advance for me as new to SQL Server..

as per task manager the CPU for SQL Server is reaching 98% sometimes..

here is the print screen... so what's next plz...

thanks in advance..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails perfmon_cpu.JPG   task_manager_cpu.JPG  

Provided Answers: 11
    According to the perfmon trace, the average CPU utilization is only 11%. Occasional spikes are fine. If the CPU stays over 60% consistently is when you should be worrying.

Are users complaining about the speed of the application this database server is backing?

it's mid night here and i don't have much calls but during day time it's always over 60% and my calls will all be dropped because SQL Server can't process it..

Can you plz guide on how to find what's going-on onthe server? what are the long processes?

Provided Answers: 1
    jrahma,

We can't diagnose this problem any more than a mechanic could figure out what is wrong with your car just by you telling him that "it doesn't run well".

You have three options here:
    1) Throw hardware at the problem by getting faster processors.
    2) Read SQL Server Books Online and learn how to use SQL profiler to identify inefficient queries, and then learn advanced SQL programming techniques to optimize those queries.
    3) Hire a dba to help you with this.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com