Unanswered: Determine pos/neg of one field based on another field

I am making a balance sheet and would like to define a field's positivity or negativity based on what type of transaction I enter. for instance, if the transaction type is "deposit" I want the amount entry to be positive. but if it is any other type of deposit, i want it to be negative.

can i do that at the table level? with validation rules? or should i just make two columns, one for expenses and one for deposits? and if i do that, how do i make sure that the w'drawl column is always negative?

thanks!

david

You'll probably get some different answers on this one. My answer is that you need to do what's best for the application and how you're going to do your reporting. There's several different ways you can do this and I don't think this is a question where 1 answer is necessarily the correct one. If you keep it in 1 column, you're going to have to do some things different on the reporting side verses if you make them 2 columns. Look at what the rest of the application does and the "big" picture and what you want your reports to look like which will hopefully give you some insight on how you want to design this. You should get some different responses though (also think about how some of the other accounting/quicken/quickbooks, etc... programs are set up).
    Last edited by pkstormy; 09-07-06 at 14:09.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Tha is a helpful response. Maybe I will just use two different columns. This a personal project, really. Nothing major at all. But it also serves as a training opportunity, so I'm eager to hear what other people have to say about how to make input contingent on other fields.

Thanks for your reply!

dmj