Exclamation Unanswered: Email Access DB using Outlook

I sent a DB off to my company and they are unable to open it because Outlook blocked the file b/c of the extension. Does anyone have a solution for this problem

KW

Zip it using winzip.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Provided Answers: 6
    If my namesake's solution doesn't work (it's what I would do, but I've seen email systems that detect the mdb inside the zip file and still block it), you can change the extension to .txt and advise the recipient to change it back.
    Paul

To back up Baldy, a number of them will see inside a zip...
    Ryan
    My Blog

Yes. I believe that has to do with the virus that went around with a ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,zip,.exe type of thing where it looked like a zip file but was actually an exe file (the ,,,,, threw it off). I thought there was a fix for that but some administrators just ended up blocking all zip files with their email clients. Outlook though does allow zip files unless your admin/settings are set to block it (and possibly the admin people didn't update outlook with the fix).
    Last edited by pkstormy; 09-08-06 at 16:43.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Wink Thanks for the help

I tryed the zip procedure and it still detected the file type in the version of MS Outlook that I am currently using. The .txt extension change is the best way to go.

Thanks

Try sending it using http://www.yousendit.com/

You upload the file and they will download it -- I use it a lot for my freelance projects.

In Microsoft Outlook or Microsoft Outlook Express, you may see a message that access was removed from the unsafe attachment xxxx.MDB and you can not save the xxxxx.MDB file to your PC. In order to resolve this problem, follow this procedure;
    1. From the menu in Outlook Express at the top of your PC screen, select the TOOLS menu and then select the OPTIONS item from the pop-up menu.
    2. From the OPTIONS window, click on the SECURITY tab.
    3. Under virus protection, the box to the left of the entry of Do Not allow attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus should not be checked. If it is checked then click the box to remove the check mark.
    4. Click the APPLY button then click the OK button.
    5. Open the e-mail with the file required to fix or update the CAMS application and you should now be able to save the xxxx.MDB file.
    6. After you have saved the xxxx.MDB file then repeat steps 1 through 4 immediately above and make sure that the box in step 3 is again checked, i.e., has a check mark.