Unanswered: Is this possible using VBA

Hi all,

I'm currently working on a project, which has turned into something much bigger than was first thought. Because of this I have had to rethink the design of the database.
    Currently I have one large database with everything in it which I'm going to split into different databases, but the person who requested the database would like it all kept together in one place, even though some of it should be seperate from each other.

I was thinking along the lines of having an mdb with just a form. It would have an option group on it so you can select the relevant area, and when you click on a command button it would open the seperate database and close the database with the selection form.

But also as an added facility the databases would all be kept on a network drive, and would check the users documents to see if it has the required database file, if not it would copy it from the network drive onto their area.

Would this be possible to do in VBA, if so does anyone have any samples or know of any?

Thanks

I have just started to learn how access does things. But my book did make the suggestion that a good practice was to make one database with nothing but your forms, queries, and reports. Then make a second database that would house the actual information.

I believe You could have vba check a certain drive to see if they had the database.

Provided Answers: 1
    It's possible, I suppose, but this sounds like an awfully convoluted solution to resource permissions. Could you elaborate a bit on the business requirements for your project?
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy
    It's possible, I suppose, but this sounds like an awfully convoluted solution to resource permissions. Could you elaborate a bit on the business requirements for your project?
    Sure. I work at a college and when I started a year ago I was asked to develop a database to store Student Placements/Work Experience, including details on the employers, their health and safety details, link up to our Oracle database where all our students are held, and also add a log to record details of when a user contacts the employer. I managed to do this with ease, but then I was asked to add more than just student placements to it.

One being a section for the conferencing department to store a log of details between the college and the business booking a conference. But it then ended up becoming more of a complete booking system when I had finished adding all of the details they wanted. Originally I wanted to keep this seperate, but was told it was all part of the same thing because it was to store a log of contact between us and the business.

But then there was more to be added; Field/Trips Visits, Trial Work, Short Courses, Bespoke Courses, Network Groups, Apprenticeships, Work Based Training and Business Development.

All the information for the above sections was originally just to store employer details or student details, and the contact log.

Originally all of the employer/business details went into one table due to the way they wanted the database designed, but now it really needs to be split up as people are starting to get confused, and people are starting to modifying other peoples data.

In my mind each of these sections should have a different database, so I have started to seperate it, and have taken out the business development section. But they would still like to be able to access all of the areas together, as it's all part of the same system.

Provided Answers: 1
    You're using Oracle as the backend? That's where your permissions should be implemented. Well, a combination between that and some user-level security for different functionality on the front end.

End-users should not know nor care about how the backend is designed. I would be putting this all in a single database and controlling permissions by assigning different db users to different groups. In MSSQL I would use AD credentials to decide which tables, views and stored procedures a given user is authorized to manipulate. I'm not up to speed on Oracle though...
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

you say:
    ...went into one table
    and
    ...should have a different database
    is this Oracle-as-a-glorified-XLS or ??
    your stuff seems to be related - it seems to belong in one database - but it surely doesn't belong in one table.
    are you certain you mean different database?

you also say:
    ...modifying other peoples data
    that really needs some more words.
    i have a db where all users can read everything but each record is 'owned' by one writer ...i thought i was strange!

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

I'm not using Oracle to store the information (using SQL Server), Oracle is just used to retrieve the students details for student placements, and only has read only access anyway.

Anyway, I have spoken to someone and cleared it up. Because it is a cross-college db I should be able to use one table to store the details. I can store all of the employers details in one table, but make sure that I include checkboxes etc to clarify that the employer can also be used for other areas e.g. Work Based Training

I think I was starting to get confused, because it was getting bigger and I didn't fully understand the specifications.

Thanks for your input though.