Thread: INITORA file.

Unanswered: INITORA file.

I have a question about the INIT.ORA file.

My oracle instance (I have ORACLE on an NT Box) is at C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\.

My question is what is the location of the file supposed to be. In addition, how do I know that the file is being read by Oracle.

I know that I can find the file within explorer, but how do I know it is in the right place.

Thanks.

Question

Maybe it's here: C:\oracle\product\10.1.0\dbs

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

I know where the INIT.ORA file is. The question I have is how do I know that the Oracle executable is loading the the INIT.ORA file. And by the way, what is the Oraacle executable? Is it SQLPLUSW.EXE?

Thanks

Cool

I beleive the oracle executable on NT is: oracle.exe

In 10g oracle uses a 'spfile{SID}.ora' (stored parameters file), therefore if you manually change the init{SID}.ora file, the change may have no effect.

You may need to logon 'as sysdba' to the Oracle Enterprise Manager DB Console to change the parameter.

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Quote Originally Posted by shiva65
    I know where the INIT.ORA file is. The question I have is how do I know that the Oracle executable is loading the the INIT.ORA file. And by the way, what is the Oracle executable? Is it SQLPLUSW.EXE?

Thanks
    As LKBrwn said, the Oracle server executable is ORACLE.EXE. On my 10gR2 box, the installation directory is E:\Oracle. In the OracleService<SID>, the path to the Oracle executable is e:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\bin\ORACLE.EXE <SID>.

As for the init.ora file, on my installation, the pfile is located in e:\oracle\product\10.2.0\admin\<sid>\pfile\init<si d>.ora. I think, however, that I created this file (CREATE PFILE FROM SPFILE) as a backup/recovery aid. I don't think that this is the default location. The default location, I believe is e:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\dbs.

There is a registry entry that you can use to set an alternate location for the pfile. It is in the respective HOME# hive and it is called INIT_<SID>_PFILE.

Remember though that starting with 9i, Oracle started making use of an SPFILE (if I recall correctly, it's something you have to set in 9i, but it's the default in 10g). The default location for the SPFILE is e:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\dbs.

Again, IIRC, during startup, Oracle defaults to looking for SPFILE<SID>.ora in the default directory. Then it looks for INIT<SID>.ora (again, in the default directory). Then it looks for SPFILE.ora and finally INIT.ora. If it doesn't find anything there, then it errors off.

Alternatively, you can specify a path to a specific file by using 'startup [mount] pfile=<path to pfile>'. This is useful during recovery (not that I would know !)

HTH,

Regards,

hmscott

Edit to add: to locate the path to the file that your instance is currently using, log into SQLPLUS and execute the following: 'show parameters pfile;'
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Nice summary hmscott. One small correction...the default location for the init file or spfile on windows is %ORACLE_HOME%\database or e:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db_1\database in your example.

Cool

Yes, that's what pisses me off about Oracle on windows. Oracle does not follow it's own standards.

Just to clarify a bit:

1) To manually modify the init.ora file you need:

a) CREATE PFILE FROM SPFILE
    b) Modify initSID.ora file
    c) STARTUP PFILE=<path to>\initSID.ora

2) Or, modify spfile through the OEM login on as sysdba.