Unanswered: How to create a new colum in a table from a form

Hello everyone

I'm having a hard time trying to create a new column in a table but from a form I created.
    I tried this: I opened my table and added a new column, I closed it and then I open my form (which is linked to the table I'm talking about), then I go to "design view" and open my Field List and the new "column" I created doesn't come out, is not there... I know I'm doing something wrong.Please I need help.

Thanks you very much

Is the record source for your form a query? Look at the record source of your form (click the ...) and see if the field is in that query. If it isn't, it won't show as a field list on the form. Otherwise, you might need to simply close and reopen the form in design view as sometimes it doesn't get refreshed if you have the form open and add a new field to the underlying table.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

My records source is not a query, is a table. Once I create a new column in the table, I close it and then I open my form and then I go to design view and open my "field list" and I don't see the new column I just created. There is anyway to "update" the "field list" once I add new columns in my underlying table?. Thanks pkstormy..!!

Agentjude

Perhaps if you select the table in the dropdown again as the record source. I've seen this happen where it doesn't always refresh the field list to the form and you need to re-select the table again for the record source. Usually it refreshes by simply closing and re-opening the form.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

pkstormy, where is the dropdown you are talking about?, where is located?, is in the design view of the form?... thak you again.

pkstormy, I went to the help online and I found out that I can update the field list by opening it and then click on the "refresh" icon, which is located in the "field list toolbar", which I can't find it... I went over all the toolbars and none of them is a "field list toolbar"... please help me find it. Than you again pkstormy..! This is the link I found: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...741751033.aspx
    Last edited by agentjude; 09-13-06 at 00:59.

To add a column to a table you can use the ALTER TABLE SQL Statement. Something like:

Code:
    CurrentDB.Execute "ALTER TABLE yourTableName ADD COLUMN newFieldName Text(75);"

Now update the database....you can use this function.

Code:
    Public Sub TablesRefresh()
       ' -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
       ' Description:
       ' Refresh the Database Window and Table Definitions
       '
       ' Syntax:
       ' TablesRefresh
       '
       ' Example:
       ' =======
       ' TablesRefresh
       '
       ' RETURNS:
       ' =======
       ' None
       ' -----------------------------------------------------------------------------

' Refresh the Database Window
       Application.RefreshDatabaseWindow
       'Refresh the Table Definitions Table
       Application.CurrentDb.TableDefs.Refresh
       DoEvents
    End Sub
    Environment:
    Self Taught In ALL Environments.....And It Shows!

Jude, the drop down Paul is talking about is in the properties window.
    Ryan
    My Blog