Thread: OCCI Data Type

Unanswered: OCCI Data Type

Hey all,

Does anyone know a way to convert from an ORACLE::OCCI:ATE data type to a VC++ CString?

Thanks in advance for your help

Scott

I don't know the CString type but you can use ToText() to convert it to a string.

HTH & Regards,

rbaraer
    ORA-000TK : No bind variable detected... Shared Pool Alert code 5 - Nuclear query ready .

Talking

ah fantastic it now displays in my list box

one more question as you seem very knowledgeable in this area..

my program crashes when i try

occidate.setDate(1,1,1,0,0,0);

is there a common reason?

thanks again,

scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Higgins
    my program crashes when i try

occidate.setDate(1,1,1,0,0,0);

is there a common reason?
    As far as "occidate" is a Date object which has been correctly initialized via one of the constructors, I see no reason why it would crash your application since the values you are passing to setDate are the default ones.

HTH & Regards,

rbaraer
    ORA-000TK : No bind variable detected... Shared Pool Alert code 5 - Nuclear query ready .

Ah i see i wasnt using the correct constructors,

thanks again Rbaraer!

if i can help you in any way let me know

scott

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_Higgins
    thanks again Rbaraer!
    You're welcome !

You will certainly have noticed that what I did is showing you the right piece of documentation. If you have time, I really recommend you to read the documentation : it is how I learned most of the knowledge I have now about Oracle (and there is yet so much to learn !!!). Forums and sites like asktom are very helpful too, but the documentation is really your best friend. Reading it takes time, but it really pays in the end.

I would recommend :

- reading the "Concepts Guide" first. It introduces the main things to know about Oracle (some are very important to developers, such as transaction management, the Oracle locking management, read consistency...) and as Tom Kyte puts it, it "acts as a readable index to the rest of the documentation".
    - then the documentations that suit your needs depending on your profile / technologies you use or plan to use. As you seem to be a developer like me, here are the docs I would recommend :
    ..... The SQL Reference
    ..... The PLSQL documentations if you are using stored procedures (you really SHOULD , for performance as well as security/privileges reasons)
    ..... The Application Developer Guides that concern your developments (Large Objects, ...)
    ..... The documentation related to your "client" technology, OCCI in your case

I also read some administration documentation because for the first 2 years in my company I had to be the only Oracle developer/administrator, but here the usefullness really depends on your job .

I generally point to 10gR1 documentation as it is the release we use but it is very important that you refer to the documentation of the release YOU are using :

- 9iR2
    - 10gR1
    - 10gR2

This being said, feel free to ask any question, I'll be glad to help.

It's good to know that there are some OCCI developers out there because there are not many ressources on the web apart from the documentation... Please don't go too far from this forum because I may need help in the future .

Best Regards,

rbaraer