Unanswered: Querying the primary key for performance

Hello, I am developing my first software product. I am trying to gain high database performance since this will be my main selling point.

My database will contain tens of thoudands of rows and worried that if i make a query the reponse will be too slow to be prectical.

so my question is:

if i made one query on my database and it returned 10 results -- would'nt it be faster if I made 10 queries using the primary key?

Will appreciate any responses.

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke101
    if i made one query on my database and it returned 10 results -- would'nt it be faster if I made 10 queries using the primary key?
    Huh? Won't both methods use the primary key and/or indexes?
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Sending 10 queries when 1 will do is NOT a good idea. Round trips to the server is expensive.

Also, sending 1 query to get more data than you need is also not a good idea. using bandwidth to transmit data you won't use is expensive, and client code is generally less efficient than sql server at filtering.

In summary, it's best to write 1 query to fetch only the data you need, and no more.

also, tens of thousands of rows is cake for sql server. I deal with tables with tens and even hundreds of millions of rows daily.

Just make sure you have your large tables indexed properly.

Quote Originally Posted by jezemine
    also, tens of thousands of rows is cake for sql server. I deal with tables with tens and even hundreds of millions of rows daily.

Just make sure you have your large tables indexed properly.

thank you..thats what i needed to know..