Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Data Models HELP!!!!

hi everyone,

i need help real bad! i dont know what these data models are: hierachical, network, relational. could someone please explain to me in detail what they are and the advantages/disadvantages and the problems that may occur in the models.

thankyou v.much to anyone who replies. :-)

Hi donmakaveli

Welcome to the forum

I imagine you are evaluating these different paradigms for an upcoming work project huh?

Only joshing - do you have any more info from the assignment? What have you turned up so far? Have you covered these in class?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

hi thanks for relpying!!!

well i have to explain the following data models -hierarchical, network and relational. i have to say the adv/disadv, the problems that may occur and they types of organisations that may use them.

ps. i have not covered this in class at all. my 1st lesson was on friday and was told to do this and have a draft by monday :-(

Hi

I am afraid that you won't get much joy on this board unless you put in some effort of your own up front.

How to do it:
    http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.php?t=1607109

How not to do it:
    http://www.dbforums.com/showpost.php...75&postcount=7

Remember - Google is your friend e.g.
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...arison&spell=1
    you'll notice a few articles that virtually answer the question but if you have any specific questions, queries or comments regarding any of it please come back and ask
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

i understand the data models, i can explain that in detail but im really stuck on the advantages/disadvantages and the problems that occur...how can i answer those if i neva use the models before?

Surely you can google these terms and find a crapload of information on them.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Blindman, lighten up.

anybody can google it but thats just the problem, every1s gona have the same info. i need some who has great knowledge on databases that can answer these questions. anyone out there????????????????????

I find it very difficult to believe you know about the hierarchical and network models without knowing their advantages and disadvantages - it is almost impossible to find a modern article that does not dwell on their limitations. Relational - well fair enough - most articles will discuss their theorestical underpinnings unless it is examined in the context of the question you ask.

The Google link I posted links to at least three or four articles that practically answer your question. If you can't be bothered clicking a link and spending five minutes reading then tough. The clock is ticking.

I'm with Blindman on this - the poster has done no more than copy their assignment question and wait for someone to answer it for them. I've given him every opportunity to demonstarte some willingness to put in some effort himself and he has not done so.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

so far iv done hierarchical and relational, iv explained about the models. but aint done the adv/disadv

Quote Originally Posted by certus
    Blindman, lighten up.
    Okay, YOU spend your time looking up information in google and then copy/pasting it into a response. Heck, start your own forum "www.certusanswerseverythingyoucouldfindoutyoursel fforums.com".
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Oh dear

How about we leave this thread be until donmachivelli demonstrates some inclination to answer the question himself and then request what could be improved\ corrected\ added\ removed?

Don - if you presented your understanding thus far I'm sure people will be willing to help. Personally - I have no professional experience I can share with you - the relational model was accepted as the mainstream paradigm quite some years ago (please - no one introduce OO and relational OO into the mix). Some of the more experienced (ahem) members or those that have some sort of niche expertise may be able to pass on their wisdom. I would imagine, however, that this assignment is designed to assess your ability to source\ comprehend\ summarise this topic rather than present obscure and specific observations of professionals with real world experience in the field.

Ah well - I guess for every rewarding student-asks-a-question-and-allows-themself-to-be-guided thread there has to be one like this.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

In regards to the different and best model I'd have to say the question is instead which model the company uses, the one you're going to end up working with it. There's lots of differences/advantages between them and I think you'd get arguements from any of the users on the pro's to which model is the best. Check out the modeling scheme in this software within these posts http://www.dbforums.com/showthread.php?t=1608237 - they swear it's a great system.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 09-17-06 at 16:06.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

Obviously we're in a situation where someone is not doing their homework.

I think we can just tell them to "get stuffed" more diplomatically.