**Warning this is long**

I want to learn oracle but I am not sure where to begin my college program I am will be doing a lot of oracle related stuff.

I have taken 1 course in oracle so far this is basically what the course description says

Covers relational database technology, including basic concepts, relational algebra, enhanced entity-relationship data modeling, functional dependencies and normalization, design methodology, SQL query language (DDL and DML), views, security and transaction management. Students design and implement a database application using both a desktop and server RDBMS. Also covers current database trends including replication, object-relational DBMS, data warehousing and OLAP.
They got rid of this course right after I took it so there is no outline to but basically we did a lot of sql programming in the beginning then moved into data warehousing and star schemas and stuff like that.

Well that was like 5months ago and I sort of remember how to do sql and stuff but not 100% at the time of taking the course I was in a different program where the 1 course I took was the only databaseing course needed since it focus was more on java,C++,C etc so I switched to a program where it is more networking and databaseing.

So at the time of the other course I had a lot of other courses with it so my focus was more on my java course what was very intensive.

With this new program there is a course where you learn the Sql and that sort of stuff. Basically what I took but a bit less since it is a lv 1 course where mine was a lv 2 course(I got transfer credit so I am not taking this lv 1 course plus even if I wanted too they would not have had room to put me in this class since the program I am in now in is a new program for the first time so they wanted to keep the number of people down).

This is the course outline of this lv 1 course:

• Describe the functions and characteristics of the relational database model.
• Apply techniques of database design including:
o Enhanced entity-relationship modeling.
o Functional dependencies and normalization.
o Derivation of relations schema from EER models.
• Apply database design process to implement a database application.
• Design and implement a database application using a desktop RDBMS.
• Describe security issues and data protection techniques in a database environment.
• Use relational algebra operations to solve relational queries.
• Use SQL to implement and query a relational database.
• Design and implement a database application using a server RDBMS.
• Explain the use of database systems and SQL programmatically.
• Discuss techniques for transaction management and concurrency control.
Now after term1(lv 1 courses) that is it for databasing courses till term 3(next fall). I have a course called DBMS structure and Management.

I was planning too take a course to get equivalence to this 3rd term course but all they had was this:

Computer Systems
COMP 4670 - Oracle 10g Administration Workshop 1
This new course fulfills the Instructor-Lead-Training requirement for the Oracle 10g certification. It is designed for students who already understand relational databases, data modeling and have a working knowledge of SQL. Students use Oracle Enterprise Edition database software to create and administer a new database and configure the database to support an application. Topics include; creating users, defining storage structures and setting up security. Students will also learn how to protect the database by designing a backup and recovery strategy, as well as how to monitor the database. BCIT is a member of the Oracle Workforce Development Program and uses Oracle University course materials (a $300.00 value) included with tuition. Please enroll early, course materials are ordered on an as needed basis and takes 7-10 days to arrive
Out line
• earn the prerequisites for installing Oracle 10g.
• Understand Oracle?s Optimal Flexible Architecture.
• Create a database.
• Connect to the database using iSQL*Plus.
• Query the database.
• Understand database transactions and transaction control statements.
• Learn how to start and stop the database.
• Control instance settings via initialization parameters.
• Create and maintain database storage structures.
• Administer user accounts.
• Create roles.
• Assign both system and object privileges.
• Understand the different types of database objects.
• Create and maintain database objects.
• Manage table constraints.
• Manipulate data using INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE commands.
• Load data using SQL Loader.
• Create and manage PL/SQL objects.
• Configure the database listener.
• Understand the different client connection options.
• Configure local naming.
• Understand and manage Oracle shared server connections.
• Monitor performance.
• Manage the automated collection of statistics.
• Perform proactive maintenance.
• Monitor the undo information.
• Administer the undo tablespace.
• Configure retention parameters.
• Monitor and resolve lock conflicts.
• Understand backup and recovery concepts.
• Perform database backups.
• Recover a database.
But after sitting in one day of this class I decided not take it since I could not follow what was going on I did not understand it at all and looked like a class that was meant for people who know oracle and that was there only class they where taking.

The 3rd term course is called DBMS structure and management and will have a very similar outline(has not been made yet but the teacher who taught the above course will be teaching the DBMS and said the same stuff will basically be taught)

In term 4 I will have another course called DBMS performance Tuning and Distribution

That was my rant so now you should know where I am coming from when I ask these questions.

1. After reading these outline and you peoples general knowledge of oracle what should I do sql again? Or will I not need much of it seeing that the next courses are more admin courses?
2. What books can you recommend for me that are for beginners like I said I don’t remember much about that oracle class(like I know there are quite a few oracle database admin books out there).
3. I installed oracle but I don’t think I did it right so could someone find me a guide on how to install oracle
4. I noticed when I installed oracle that oracle was always running and it slowed my computer down by a lot I found the services what are used for oracle(see link)

Is there away I can make something to start all these files up when I need to use oracle because having them running all the time is not an option and starting each one manually is a pain too.

Can a batch file be made to just go and start these services one after another? If so how do I make it?

These are all the questions I have for now thanks.