Unanswered: SQL Express at home - Can't create login

Short version - how can I create a server login for a remotely connected machine on a simple 2 computer XP home network connected via router?

Long version - I'm doing an Access-SQL Migration. I used the migration assistant (which creates DSN-less linked tables) to convert the data to SQL Server, and now I'm at the point of making all of the modifications to my Access front end so that the two play nice.

I have SQL Express running on my laptop. I would like to do the Access work on my desktop because a) I can work faster with the fullsize keyboard and b) the install at my client's location will include users hitting the database over their network and I'd like to simulate that while I'm making the modifications.

My Access front-end works 100% fine on my laptop. The Access front end will NOT connect when I run it on my desktop.

My guess is that this is due to not having a server login or DB user associated with the account on my desktop machine. In view of that, I'm trying to create those items on my server.

So, I open SSMS on the laptop and try to create a Server login. Under "Login Name:" I enter "Desktop\AccountName" and it fails saying "Windows NT user or group 'Desktop\AccountName' not found. Check the name again."

If I click the "Search" button next to "Login Name:" The only "Location" that I'm given is "LAPTOP" and that's greyed out preventing me from changing it.

Both machines are running XP home. My network is simply called "Home" if that means anything.

Provided Answers: 11
    Windows authentication requires the whole domain setup (i.e. domain controller), which the SQL Server can trust. This may be unavailable to you on a home network. You can try a couple of things.

1) Use the runas command to impersonate someone in the "laptop domain".
    2) Use SQL Server authentication to get from the desktop to the laptop.

The actual method of authentication should not matter to the functionality of application, and may be the easiest way to get around this.

I have heard that if you are using a workgroup, then if you create a user on both machines with the same username and password, then you can use windows auth. Haven't tried it though.

What you need to do is first create a user on your laptop that has the same name/pass as the user you use on your desktop. Then you can enter the SSMS and add the user to the SQL authentication. But first it has to exist as a Windows user. Easiest way to manage users in Windows is to right click on "My Computer" and then select 'Manage'.

R

Provided Answers: 11
    I believe that loophole was closed in Windows 2000. Can't say for sure, as I have not tried it out recently.

I do it with Windows 2003 Servers and Windows XP (I know, I'm behind the times), so I doubt he'll have much trouble.