Unanswered: Noob... "Insert Data To MySQL"

Trying to fallow this tutorial to learn mysql...

http://www.php-mysql-tutorial.com/my...data-mysql.php

Ran into a snag...

Running this command from terminal....

Macintosh:~ ryanmooney$ mysql < /insert.txt
    ERROR 1064 (42000) at line 1: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'Bird
    Fish
    Turtle' at line 1
    Insert text is just a plain textfile with 3 lines of text each proceded by a tab (i have tried without the tab too)...

insert.txt: >>>
    Bird
    Fish
    Turtle

The text file must contain valid sql statements. The three lines - Bird, Fish, Turtle are not sql statements and have no meaning to mysql. If your file contains something like the following, it should work -
    Code:
    INSERT INTO species (name) values ('Bird');
    INSERT INTO species (name) values ('Fish');
    INSERT INTO species (name) values ('Turtle');

Thanks,

Got it...

I have seen allot of errors in that tutorial already...

INSERT INTO species (name) values ('Turtle');
    Should really be
    INSERT INTO species (species) values ('Turtle');
    By means of
    mysql> CREATE TABLE species (id INT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT, species varchar(30) NOT NULL, primary key(id));
    Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.02 sec)
    Yes/No...

Any way got to learn the bassics somewhere and what better way than from error and trial and error and.... Anyway...

Thanks for the direction... =]

The least error prone version of the information on that web site is available in the mysql documentation. Here is a link to the Tutorial in the manual - http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/tutorial.html Section 3.3 and 3.6 are the most useful.

I recommend downloading a version of the manual for reference - http://dev.mysql.com/doc/ I personally use the Windows CHM version. The "INDEX" tab makes finding information fairly easy.

It is really??

It is really??
    Is it really what... ??

If you are referring to weather it is the "least error prone" i would say YES i have been flowing the section 3 tutorial and have run in to no hiccups here on mac os x using the command line terminal...

With the exception of "LOAD DATA LOCAL INFILE" not working on my apache web server if you continue to read and fallow the link about "Security Issues with LOAD DATA LOCAL" i found that i do not use LOCAL with apache...

Definitely a good reference material with a good easy to use and understand structure and the user comment section is invaluable and should be used by more reference/tutorial sites because if one person has an answer to something most likely there are many others that will benefit from user input...

Welcoming myself to the world of MySQL could not be easier...

Thanks "dbmab"... =]