Unanswered: How To Connect Oracle DB with Microsoft SQL Server

Hello,

Does anyone know how to connect Oracle 10g DB to Microsoft SQL Server? If so, any tips or help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Cool

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

use Oracle's heterogeneous services

There are serveral papers on the internet that discuss this. You will have to do some digging but the details are out there. Do some google searches to get the information. I have oracle10r2 on a pc at home along with sqlserver (forgot the version), on a windows box. Using ODBC I can make oracle get data from sqlserver.

It is easy to make sqlserver get data form oracle using simple ODBC.

Thus I assume you are speaking of going in the opposite direction, which is to say to get Oracle to see a sqlserver set of tables as its own. Again, I do this using heterogeneous services. You will make changes to several config files and possibly create an ODBC setup, but after that it works.

There are limitations to sharing data, mostly do to incompatible constructs between sqlserver special datatypes and oracle special datatypes, but if your sqlserver tables do not contain any, you will be fine.

If I still have the details at home I will look them up and post for you, but don't wait for it. Likely hood is I deleted everything I figured it out.

Good luck, Kevin

Cool

You can read all about it on the link I posted.

Good Luck!

The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb