Thread: MSysTombstone

Unanswered: MSysTombstone

I have a replicated database I'm trying to synch, and I'm getting the error "Not enough space on temporary disk". From looking around other postings, I only know what the problem isn't--it's not a disk space problem, it's not a MaxFileLocks problem, etc. It might be a virtual memory problem, but I increased the memory to 8192 mg and it doesn't help. In the meantime, I've noticed a system file MSysTombstone that has over a million entries. You can't delete them, but in older versions of Access you could use the Replication Manager to set the parameter for how long entries are kept--this doesn't seem to be the case for Access 2002, 2003.

This started because I tried to take replication off of a table in the database, and it gave me that error "Not enough space on temporary disk". Now it won't synch and it won't take the replication off the table.

My questions are this:

Is there something else I can do to deal with what might be a resource issue, or is there a way to deal with the MSysTombstone table, or is there a way in Access 2002/3 to set how long the records are stored in that table?

Thanks.

Try this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q182464/

If that don't help, a ton of other things came up when I googled MSysTombstone

tc

I Googled MSysTombstone myself, which is how I know anything about it at all. That particular Microsoft article applies only to Access 97, and directs you to use the Replication Manager, which doesn't exist for Access 2002/3. There is another article, similar to this one, which refereces Access 2000, and also directs you to the Replication Manager. I suppose I should add another question to my list, which is, any ideas for getting to KeepDesignChangeHistory, besides the Replication Manager? Or, is there something like it to use for Access 2002/3?

sorry 'bout that - it seems I made the same mistake other's who tried to fix this problem did.

This is interesting:
    http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/...ad.php?t=90606

and the important piece is:
    Luckily for me there is a genius out there called Michael Kaplan. I've just been referred to his site http://www.trigeminal.com/ because he's designed some software called TSI Synchronizer which does exactly the job I need it to do. And he's been kind enough to distribute it for free!
    I didn't pursue it due to time constraints, but it looks promising.

tc

Yes, that is interesting. I found that myself and downloaded the file it references, but it's a VB thing, and I think, although I'm not sure, that you would include it in a program you wrote to programatically reference the parameter KeepDesignChangeHistory. Since I'm not using VB for anything, and I wouldn't have the slightest idea how to implement this code, I don't think I can use it. If you, or someone else, can give me *very* explicit directions on what to do with this, I think that probably would help, and of course I would be more than grateful. But otherwise, I'm looking for a non-VB solution. Sigh. I wish I understood why there isn't something in 2002/3 that deals with this. Or why I can't increase something so that I can just take the replication off the one table I am trying to change.

Hmmm. Lots of people looking at this question, but no one answering it. I did try one other thing--I changed the date on my computer to 2012 to see if that would make the entries in the MSysTombstone table disappear. The first time I did it, it didn't seem like it did anything, so I tried it again and got the "Not enough phyisical space" error when I tried to compact and repair. I guess I need to give up on this and recreate the database somehow, although I don't know what to do about all the replicas out there that want to synch with it.