Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: temp tables Vs Tables

Hi,
    Are there any significant performance benefit if we avoid temp tables?
    Are the temp tables bad for good performance of queries?
    Is it better to create table ,then use it after that drop it ,rather then using temp tables?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    - Sir Winston Churchill
    Joydeep

I think Temp Tables Vs Table Variables is probably more enlightening.
    http://sqlnerd.blogspot.com/2005/09/...variables.html

I can't imagine that creating a "permanent" table and then dropping it will confer any advantages - but it could cause concurrency problems.
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Provided Answers: 54
    A lot depends on the number of rows and the complexity of the query. If you need to use indexing, temp tables are really tough. If you only have a few thousand rows of data or less, or if you have a simple table scan, then temp tables are ideal.

The only time I really recommend using a permanant scratch table is if the queries involved really benefit from indicies. If that is the case, I recommend using a "token" such as the spid to separate different queries that might be running at the same time, and including that token value in the index expression(s). Delete any data using your token before you start (to clear any previous runs). Add data to the table using your token.

For 99% of all queries I do, temp tables are the best answer.

-PatP

Thanks a lot to both of you...
    Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
    - Sir Winston Churchill
    Joydeep

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    A lot depends on the number of rows and the complexity of the query. If you need to use indexing, temp tables are really tough. If you only have a few thousand rows of data or less, or if you have a simple table scan, then temp tables are ideal.

The only time I really recommend using a permanant scratch table is if the queries involved really benefit from indicies. If that is the case, I recommend using a "token" such as the spid to separate different queries that might be running at the same time, and including that token value in the index expression(s). Delete any data using your token before you start (to clear any previous runs). Add data to the table using your token.

For 99% of all queries I do, temp tables are the best answer.

-PatP
    How about table variables. Sorry just read throught Pootle's post.

Provided Answers: 1
    Pat, temp tables can be indexed out the wazoo. It's just table variables that are limited to a clustered index.

I use table variables for small datasets. I use temp tables for larger datasets, or data sets that are referenced multiple times in a procedure and could benefit from additional indexing.

I NEVER create permanent tables as temporary storage. EVER.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com

Provided Answers: 54
    Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    Pat, temp tables can be indexed out the wazoo. It's just table variables that are limited to a clustered index.
    Yep, you can sure create those indexes on temp tables... Getting the blasted engine to actually use them is a different story. It can be done, but I've never found a way to reliably get the database engine to use them.

-PatP

Provided Answers: 11
    Another concern is if your database is in FULL recovery mode, you may not want (or care) to have the extra transactions in the log.

This is something interesting here about temp tables....link
    - Sir Winston Churchill
    Joydeep

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    Yep, you can sure create those indexes on temp tables... Getting the blasted engine to actually use them is a different story. It can be done, but I've never found a way to reliably get the database engine to use them.
    -PatP
    I've never noticed the engine not using appropriate indexes on my temp tables, but I haven't necessarily checked for it either. I'll have to monitor it the next few times I do this. I HAVE seen tremendous performance improvements on my sprocs gained from adding indexes to temp tables.

blindman

Quote Originally Posted by rudra
    Articles that start off with "In general, temp tables should be avoided", when they should just say "Don't use temp tables if you don't need them" kinda pi$$ me off. Noobs don't read beyond the first few sentences and come away with the idea that temp tables are bad. They are not.
    As with any programming, simplicity is desirable, so you should not clutter up your code with temp tables unnecessarily. But there are instances where temp tables are MUCH faster than derived tables, such as when a derived recordset is referenced multiple times in a single sql statement or in a single procedure.
    Also, the article referenced discusses the advantages of usinge table variables over temp tables, but does not discuss the disadvantages. Overall, I would say this article is of very poor quality.

blindman

Quote Originally Posted by blindman
    Noobs don't read beyond the first few sentences and come away with the idea that temp tables are bad.
    Noobs? whats that ?? used generally as an insult,really !! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newbie
    - Sir Winston Churchill
    Joydeep

Quote Originally Posted by rudra
    Yes, I get mixed/conflicting feedback from websites concerning temp tables.

One thing to be aware of if you use temp tables: if tempdb runs out of space, which is not uncommon, then ALL your databases that are using tempdb will go down. It's a single point of failure, which is bad.

To insulate yourself from this problem, you can use a scratch table local to your own db, not a temp table.

but by all means, if you have a small number of rows to store, use table variables.

Quote Originally Posted by jezemine
    One thing to be aware of if you use temp tables: if tempdb runs out of space
    ..... then tempdb just grows as required right?
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.