Exclamation one interest question: does it make sense to build a worldwide database ?

some one asked me this question, and i am wondering if it's really needed to build one or wether this plan can be carried out effectively cause there are so many troubles, such as security, privacy, maintaince, costs, economic and political factors.

i think it's a big, however, interesting question! i need your help, and any reply is appreciated!

thanks.

yes, it makes sense to build a worldwide database
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

A lot depends on what you mean by "worldwide". Most of my databases are already worldwide in the sense that they have schema designs that support users with clients all over the world. I can't figure out any use for a database that would be actively used by the entire world... I can't imagine that any business or government would use it for anything.

-PatP

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Phelan
    I can't figure out any use for a database that would be actively used by the entire world... I can't imagine that any business or government would use it for anything.
    tongue firmly planted in cheek, yes?

very much along the lines of There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home

i can think of one simple example of a database that is actively used by the entire world -- google's
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Oh - so a world wide database isn't one with a table in Egypt and another in Iceland and another in Namibia?

I need to hit my textbooks again
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump
    ur codings are working excelent.

Quote Originally Posted by r937
    i can think of one simple example of a database that is actively used by the entire world -- google's
    Come now - you can't expect not to get pulled up for that
    Testimonial:
    pootle flump

pulled up? another quaint british colloquialism?
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Testimonial:
    pootle flump

Wikipedia is getting worldwide use. Would that be better than the Google example?

i love wikipedia -- instead of "about 6,400,000" results on google, wikipedia gives you one page of exactly what you're looking for

of course, you have to know what you're looking for, eh
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca

Oh, that helps in any search, even if you are looking for your car keys, or the way to stumble home from the bar.

Pat Phelan , thanks for reminding me that a lot of things we consider depend on how we define the wordwide database.

r937 , thank you for telling me that google is a great database and i'm agree with you.

---------------------------------

however , i think that , take google for example , if us goverment want the media to support or keep silent about something sensitive , won't google do something as she has been asked to do?

a worldwide database helps us to share information , however it still can be used by some
    company or some one as their private tools used to achieve their own goals .

so , for other goverments or other companys , will they contribute to the worldwide database ? cause it is necessary for them to keep some useful or valueable information as their own .

database.....is strong and more powerful than any other resource.