Unanswered: SQL parameter Query & wildcard

I just migrated a stand alone MSAccess2003 .mdb to an .adp Access Data Project. In the former .mdb I had a parameter query to search for a portion of a 17 character part number, primarily the 2 grouping of 4 digits as in (00-0000-XXXX-0-00). In Access the query was written as

LIKE “*”&[Enter a portion of the part number]&”*”

Then we ported to a web based portal using MSAccess’s DAP (data access pages) and I was told due to ADO vs DAO the query had to be rewritten using the % symbol as in

LIKE “%”&[Enter a portion of the part number]&”%”

So far so good. However with the migration to a SQL Server and ANSI-92 compatible wildcard characters this has changed. The new query looks like this

LIKE @Enter_a_portion_of_the_part_number +n’%’

The problem I am having is the prompt for data entry works but the wildcard will only return matching values from the first digit place holder. Some of the books I have read said to use the Under Score character to move the search criteria to the section I want to search which would be starting with the 9th character (00-0000-XXXX-0-00) as in

LIKE @Enter_a_portion_of_the_part_number +n’________%

However the Under Score only works with Alpha Characters and not Numeric.

So how do I write a SQL Server Query to perform like it did in Access?

To match parts of a string with different conditions, it might be helpful to use SUBSTRING() (or similar - the name of this function may depend on the database server).
    E.g., to extract the 'XXXX' from 00-0000-XXXX-0-00, use SUBSTRING('00-0000-XXXX-0-00', 9, 4)

On the other hand, to check whether a string matches the pattern 00-0000-XXXX-0-00, use the condition
    LIKE '00-0000-____-0-00'
    (Note that this will only match varchar strings without blanks at the end, or strings of type CHAR(17).)
    --_Peter Vanroose,
    __IBM Certified Database Administrator, DB2 9 for z/OS
    __IBM Certified Application Developer
    __ABIS Training and Consulting

Provided Answers: 1
    Use: Like '%' + [YourSubstring] + '%'
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman "sqlblindman"