Thread: SQLBackup

Unanswered: SQLBackup

I am trying to backup my SQL servers to a snap server. However I keep getting all the same errors except on one server. My question is what account starts up the database is also going to be the username and password sent over when issue the following correct?

Code:
    BACKUP DATABASE adpeet TO DISK = '\\snapaztar\sqlbackups\EtimeDBS\adpeet.bak' WITH INIT
    any help would be great. When I check the logs I find that the code failed because of the supplied username and password failed.

Quote Originally Posted by jstephens
    I am trying to backup my SQL servers to a snap server. However I keep getting all the same errors except on one server. My question is what account starts up the database is also going to be the username and password sent over when issue the following correct?

Code:
    BACKUP DATABASE adpeet TO DISK = '\\snapaztar\sqlbackups\EtimeDBS\adpeet.bak' WITH INIT
    any help would be great. When I check the logs I find that the code failed because of the supplied username and password failed.
    I'm not positive, but I thought that it was the SQL Server Agent account. Also, if the Snap Server is not domain aware and the service account is a domain account, then there will be other issues to over come.

I have in the past had some success with scripting a batch file with a NET USE statement to instantiate a mapped drive prior to backing up the database, but it's been a while (was on an old NT 4.0 server).

Regards,

hmscott
    Have you hugged your backup today?

Thanks that is what I need to know and Why I thought the backup was failing. I bet if I create one sql domain account and change all SqLagents to use this account then have the Snap give that account full right it should work. The Snapserver is joined to my domain.

well the outcome was still the same. It kept saying bad user name and password.

I found that by changing the actual sql service to a domain account I was able to accomplish this task. looks like I am going to have to script the move of the backup file.

Quote Originally Posted by jstephens
    I found that by changing the actual sql service to a domain account I was able to accomplish this task. looks like I am going to have to script the move of the backup file.
    Yep, had the same problem, SQL Agent is picking with UNC paths and permissions, whether via a Share or account privileges.