Unanswered: Inserting a subreport (from file) - missing fields

Hi,

I am using Crystal Reports 8.5. I am creating a report based on report files that already exist. I am using data from two databases, one Oracle and one Access (through OLEDB). When I insert a subreport from a file, I find that all the fields from Access are missing from the subreport. What am I doing wrong? I cannot find any documentation on this, I followed the instructions in CR help but it does not mention the removal of fields from the subreport.

I have tried to add both Oracle and Access databases to my main report but this doesn't help. Do I need to setup a connection before doing the insert subreport?

If I open the (subreport) report file directly in Crystal Reports all the fields are there. Just when I insert it into another report are the fields missing.

Any help appreciated!
    Last edited by gobbo; 09-25-06 at 10:28.

Inserting Sub report

after inserting sub report u have to link the subreport to the main report, click on the sub report u find an option change sub report links.. then link the fields which r related to the main report and sub report then u will get the values from sub report

Hi ppavan21,

I have found that my problem is related to something else. Apparently you cannot nest subreports further than 1 level deep.

I have several reports. I want to merge them into one report so that it can be printed as one print job. Each of the reports have subreports. Therefore, when I insert them into a new "master report" the subreports of my reports are lost.

I have to find another way to combine many reports into one print job. If you have any suggestions, I would be glad to hear them! I do not think that the CRPE API can merge several reports into one print job.

why not use Oracle for both reports or vice-versa?
    if your data size permits, try moving the data from Access to Oracle temporarily before running the report. This you can always clear up before next run.
    Once you have data in ingle data source you can create a grouped report if possible.

Hope this helps.
    In GOD we believe. Everything else we Test!

If you want to print a series of reports from one main report using Crystal 8.5 just insert a new section for every report you want to have triggered by the main report.

If you not sure of what that means, consider the following example:

You have 3 reports you would like to print for every sales manager in your company. Each manager has a Cost Center number assigned to them which identifies his/her department.

You will create one main report and insert 3 subreports with the Cost Center field as the link.

The Main report will be grouped by Cost Center as group1.

In the Group 1 Header, you can create a cover sheet that includes the Cost Center value, the Manager's Name, and the list of the 3 report titles that follow.

In the Details section, insert the Cost Center field and the Managers Name field. Hide the Detail section.

In the Group 1 Footer, place the first subreport. Link it by Cost Center.

While still in the Group 1 Footer, go to the left margin and right click. You will see in the list of options, "Insert Section Below". Select this option. Repeat once more so you have 3 Group 1 Footers.

Insert the second subreport in Group 1 Footer - b. Insert the third subreport in Group 1 Footer - c. Link both subreports appropriately. Remove the subreport border. Make sure the sizing on the subreports matches the main report.

You should see the following on your screen...

Group 1 Footer - a Subreport 1
    Group 1 Footer - b Subreport 2
    Group 1 Footer - c Subreport 3

You can create parameters and use conditional supression to control if all three reports run or just one of them.

If you need more information, send me a reply.

Good Luck.

Thank you for your reply. I have been on another forum, Tek-tips and have found out my problem. Crystal Reports 8.5 cannot handle subreports more than one level deep. This is not sufficient for what we want, so we are going to use a printing tool called pdfFactory to combine our print jobs into one PDF. This can then be printed as one print job and also stored in PDF format.

Again, many thanks for all the help, but this issue is now closed.