Unanswered: Important question, how to save my sql's data on my computer and importing back

Hello, I have mysql on the server. I would like to save my database information on my computer. Then I was hoping I could make changes
    to the files on my computer and upload to mysql from there. Is there
    a way to to import .txt or .word files back to mysql after changes are made??

Thank you very much.

No one knows how to import files to mysql? Thanks

Provided Answers: 12
    Why don't you use UPDATE/INSERT/DELETE to modify the data directly in MySQL? After all that's what a database is for...

But if you insist using the DBMS as a file storage: find a GUI client that let's you export/import flat files. I think even the MySQL command line tools include at least an import tool

Provided Answers: 59
    what you want to do is a fairly odd requirement.

you could achieve what you want to do using PHPMyAdmin
    OR
    Backup from MySQLAdministratror
    I'd rather be riding on the Tiger 800 or the Norton

I don't understand, how do people upload things to their database from their computer? Do they have to have mysql also set up on their computer?...and can they set up the same database?

Is this how people normally do it? They just save their databases as mysql files?
    Then if they want to upload any new info they do it with php or something?
    Last edited by Vanessa1; 09-27-06 at 19:47.

Provided Answers: 12
    Databases or not "files".
    You do not "upload" data to a database.
    You manipulate the data using SQL Statements. For that, you need to have a database front end that allows you to enter the SQL statements and send them to the server.
    You should really get a good book on relational databases and understand the basic (!!) concepts before going on.

You will save yourself a lot of headaches and trouble if you do so.

Certainly I can ask a few questions here to find out the direction I need to head. I saw several areas that said you could upload some things to a database using php. Maybe someone can tell me this, can you send SQL statements to a database without shell access? Thank you very much.

normally you would design the database schema, if you have existing data in another db or other electronic source you can do a bulk load of data. Usually you would only do this on the intial set up of the system, or if the system was a client consumer of data form another / other datastores (eg if the db ran locally and used data from a master db located elsewhere). examples of local systems could be say a university which has a master db controlling student admissions / enrollment and a local (say faculty) db whihc handled things that are unique for that faculty.

tools to do that exist MySQL will allow you to load data from a file, PHPMyAdmin has a usefull tool as has MySQL Administrator (both of these can take data either in or out using ASCII / text files). There are other tools such as MySQL Migration toolkit & dbTools which will transfer data from one db to another.

once the DB is up and running you would normally use SQL to manipulate the data in the DB, to either INSERT [add], SELECT [retrieve], UPDATE [change] or DELETE [does what it says on the tin] records.

so in the normal world you would have a client applcation written in what ever language you like (eg PHP/ASP etc in the web world, C,C++, VB, .NET etc) in the conventional world which provide the functionality you want, whether that be to add new, change exisitng, delete old records, or merely to view whats there.

if you dont have many records to change or delete then theoretically you could do it using MySQL Query Browser, however its fine for a simple quick and dirty SQL Id not want to use soemthing like that in a live / real db.

Wow, anyone know how to add data then using the ASCII / text files?

And can the whole database be saved to my computer, just as a back up in case anything goes wrong with my database. I already have one set up, just trying to protect and upload to it. Thank you!!

yes

if you have access to the MySQl console
    load data infile ... look at the MySQl manual

if you have access to PHPMyAdmin
    look at he load from file option

if you have access to MySQL Adminsitrator
    looka the the back / restore options