Red face Extended Relational Databases - Dissertation Help - Please

Hi everyone,

I hope you don't mind me asking for your help.

I am currently in the final dissertation phase of my Masters degree. Unfortunately, I am having great difficulties with defining a suitable topic for my dissertation project.

I would like to research some aspect of Extended Relational Databases as this is a topic I wish to know more about. My initial proposal (to look at the inclusion of sound files (for a record company cataloging system) and searches on these) has been rejected on the basis that:

1) it will be too hard to search within sound files
    2) it is not an academic enough project - it's more of a systems engineering project

If possible, I would like to continue with the record company system (I have a personal connection and interest in developing something usable for them). My next idea was to go slightly simpler and change my searches to image files instead (using OCR I think), i.e searching within images for track information. Does this sound feasible to anyone here?

I need to find a way to make this more academic and research based as well. Any ideas on this would be extremely welcome.

Failing ideas based around this theme, does anyone have any ideas or topics that they are interested in and think would be suitable for this kind of project?

I am pretty good at researching a topic, developing systems and writing up results, but am utterly lousy at coming up with the ideas in the first place. I am very stuck and feel like I am running out of time with my dissertation.

All help will be very gratefully received.

Thank you!

A
    Last edited by daisywheel; 09-26-06 at 06:44.

You might look into Geographic Information Systems and all their associated data.

duplicate.