Provided Answers: 6

Unanswered: strange out of range date in a datetime field

How is that I have stuff like...

13415-10-14 72:00:56.973

and -21858-02-28 390:54:27.200

in a datetime field when BOL says...

"Date and time data from January 1, 1753, through December 31, 9999, with an accuracy of three-hundredths of a second, or 3.33 milliseconds."

Not only that but I can't find where this field is getting written to in my trace
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

You playing with us?

DECLARE @x datetime, @y datetime
    SET @x = '13415-10-14 72:00:56.973'
    SET @x = '-21858-02-28 390:54:27.200'
    Brett
    8-)

It's a Great Day for America everybody!

dbforums Yak CorralRadio 'Rita
    dbForums Member List
    I'm Good Once as I ever was

The physical order of data in a database has no meaning.

Provided Answers: 6
    I wish I was. The fields are definitly datetime and they are storing these values. The data is not there before I execute the web page, I have all of the completed events under the Transact-SQL and Stored Procedure Events in Profiler turned on. I execute the page, the data gets entered and there is no reference to the column in the trace anywhere. I went over 3 or 4 traces of the same thing. It is wierding me out.

I had to punt this one to a developer. I know... shame on me, because I had no idea what was happening.
    Last edited by Thrasymachus; 09-26-06 at 14:34.
    “If one brings so much courage to this world the world has to kill them or break them, so of course it kills them. The world breaks every one and afterward many are strong at the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the very brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry.” Earnest Hemingway, A Farewell To Arms.

Provided Answers: 1
    I've seen this before, but I don't remember the resolution or the cause.
    If it's not practically useful, then it's practically useless.

blindman
    www.chess.com: "sqlblindman"
    www.LobsterShot.blogspot.com