Unanswered: access error message from click event???

Hello all - can anyone put me in the right direction re an error message I'm getting when I try to print a report in a listbox? The "Load Reports" button is fine, shows all the reports. It's when I click the "Preview Reports", button that I get the message. Here's the code for the button:

DoCmd.OpenReport lstReports.ItemsSelected, View:=acPreview

The error message says: "An expression you entered is the wrong datatype for one of the arguments".

The debug option leads me right up to the DoCmd statement.

I'm damned if I can figure this out..I thought ItemsSelected was the appropriate method here.

If you want to reproduce this, you need to have a form with a listbox with it's recordtype set to "Value" in properties.

Here's the code for the "Load" button, taken from a VB Sub courtesy of Alison Balter's Access book. It uses automation so I commented out the automated parts since I'm dealing with Access directly:

[Code follows]

Dim ws As Workspace
    Dim db As Database
    Dim doc As Document
    Dim cnt As Container
    'Point at the Jet Engine
    Set ws = DBEngine(0)
    'Set a Filter and Intial Directory for the
    'Common Dialog Control
    ' dlgCommon.Filter = "Databases (*.mdb)|*.mdb"
    ' dlgCommon.InitDir = App.path
    'Display the File Open Common Dialog
    ' dlgCommon.ShowOpen
    'Open a Database using the selected Access file
    Set db = CurrentDb
    'Look at the Reports collection
    Set cnt = db.Containers!Reports
    'Clear the List Box of previous entries
    'lstReports.clear
    'Loop through the collection of Reports
    'Add each report name to the List Box
    For Each doc In cnt.Documents
    lstReports.AddItem doc.Name
    Next doc
    [End of code]

I'm using Access 2003 on WinXP.
    Anybody? Thanks in advance.

im at school right now so i dont have a copy of access, but try putting ""'s around acpreview so that:
    Code:
    DoCmd.OpenReport lstReports.ItemsSelected, View:="acPreview"

Thanks, but that just gives me a "type mismatch" error.

Provided Answers: 19
    jwalker343 was incorrect as you've found out. I, too, am away from my work amchine, but the problem, I believe is that you're using lstReports.ItemsSelected which is an integer (it returns the item index or position in the box, starting with zero as the frist item) and Access expects a form name, which is a string. I think you need to set up a variable, say strFormName, then assign a name to the variable depending on the integer returned by ItemsSelected using a structure like Case or something similar. Then:

Code:
    DoCmd.OpenReport strFormName, acPreview
    Hope this helps!

The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

Provided Answers: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Missinglinq
    jwalker343 was incorrect as you've found out. I, too, am away from my work amchine, but the problem, I believe is that you're using lstReports.ItemsSelected which is an integer (it returns the item index or position in the box, starting with zero as the frist item) and Access expects a form name, which is a string. I think you need to set up a variable, say strFormName, then assign a name to the variable depending on the integer returned by ItemsSelected using a structure like Case or something similar. Then:

Code:
    DoCmd.OpenReport strFormName, acPreview
    Not quite. myListBox.ItemsSelected returns a collection of the selected items.

If you have a simple listbox with no multi-select capabilities, then you need to use something like this:

myList.Column(0, myList.ListIndex)
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

Thanks for your help, folks. Here's what's happened in the last half hour:

I scoured the web looking for answers and found some interesting candidates on some other forums, but they all lots of code that really didn't WORK!

But, I noticed one fellow's code that was very simple:

He made a table of his report names and put in the following line in the AfterUpdate event:

DoCmd.OpenReport Me.Combo20, acPreview

Damn if it didn't work like a charm! So, I thought about it and tried it with a Listbox's Double-Click event:

DoCmd.OpenReport Me.List22, acPreview

Beautiful! And only ONE line of code!

Try it. Beats those ugly buttons, I'll tell you...