Unanswered: PLEASE HELP!! Need advice here...company is computerising.

ok basically this practice place is using a paper based system and they wanna know how to go about computerizing it. Theres loadsa data such as patient info, records, audits, primary complaints, diary sheet, examination screen etc. they have an offsite server thats gonna store all this info that can then be drawn from the 2 computers in the clinic to be updated, amended and so on. There are two practices (both private) so if it was on computer both sites can access/ammend it.

Its all on paper now. They just want it all on computer so it can be easily accessed and changed. There is ALOT of info and it aint exactly organised or anything right now and they think computerizing is the way forward.

Current software packages doesnt have all the details needed like jpeg images of bodies which can be changed in some way either by touch or simply color coded and then attached to the patient.

http://www.getphysicalsoftware.com/s...TOKEN=22887732

^^ thats one package. that is ok but messy and cant add pics...it has alot of the info tho..

I was just wondering what software is available so I can start this from the ground up. I dont know much about this stuff but Im looking into it.. I dont know if something like ACCESS would be powerful enough and you cant add pics and actually edit them in access i dont think?

Here are the sort of details that would be going into the database...have a look at these two pics...

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/5349/chir00o1cz5.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72...345/chiro2.jpg

^^see that skeleton pic would have have to be added made available to be modified.

Any ideas? I need like a foundation thing so I can try and start building this.

thanks for any help!

Provided Answers: 1
    Access is absolutely, categorically the wrong choice for this application. Before we even get into the technical details, you're going to have a bear of a time securing the information on par with HIPAA standards.

On the technical side of things, you will VERY quickly reach the limits of what access can do both size and performance wise if your practice is of any decent size.

I would look at investing in MSSQL or Oracle. Doing it in Access might look cheaper from the start, but I absolutely gaurantee you will pay more in maintenance and disaster recovery then you would have invested doing it right the first time.

I'm just one dude though, I'm sure others have differing opinions.
    oh yeah... documentation... I have heard of that.

*** What Do You Want In The MS Access Forum? ***

can i add and edit images with msql or oracle? thanks for the help..

Hi Guys

I absolutley agree with Teddy on this one Scotty. There are very many bespoke packages that are available, costly but they are more or less off-shelf ready for the operation you are looking for. I suspect that you are US based? So the NHS protocol in the UK will not effect you. However, I suggest that with the operation you have describe you call in a "good", reliable consultant that has no specific financial interest in which package you want but are more interested in the functionality you require

Good luck with it.........

Gareth

Quote Originally Posted by garethfx
    Hi Guys

I absolutley agree with Teddy on this one Scotty. There are very many bespoke packages that are available, costly but they are more or less off-shelf ready for the operation you are looking for. I suspect that you are US based? So the NHS protocol in the UK will not effect you. However, I suggest that with the operation you have describe you call in a "good", reliable consultant that has no specific financial interest in which package you want but are more interested in the functionality you require

Good luck with it.........

Gareth
    I'm UK based. What is the NHS protocol? This place is private (I think anyway). Im just looking into this as its a placement I'm on and its kinda new to me..They suggested building one from the ground up so they could get exactly what they wanted. They also dont really wanna pay through the roof. Do u know any of the packages?

The NHS - You wil need to very aware of a self build - You have a full security system to put in place to comply with the DTA PROTECTION ACT and FREEDOM INFORMATION AC. You will have multiple users, text and graphics storage, there will be a nee dto record notes made by the medical team, including the doctors, out patient sections, test results, medication etc etc. And this may be required by the patient to have it released to the NHS if there is an issue and they have to use the National Health Service at any stage.

This is not something that a medium experienced access byuilder should really try. From last seen yoyu can expect 7 to 10 K for a good package, remembering the licencing, training and 24,7,52 helpdesk - support

gareth

Have a look here scotty
    http://www.e-clinic.uk.net

The NHS - You wil need to very aware of a self build - You have a full security system to put in place to comply with the DTA PROTECTION ACT and FREEDOM INFORMATION AC. You will have multiple users, text and graphics storage, there will be a nee dto record notes made by the medical team, including the doctors, out patient sections, test results, medication etc etc. And this may be required by the patient to have it released to the NHS if there is an issue and they have to use the National Health Service at any stage.

This is not something that a medium experienced access byuilder should really try. From last seen yoyu can expect 7 to 10 K for a good package, remembering the licencing, training and 24,7,52 helpdesk - support

gareth
    ok but remember this is a chiropratic practice and there are only like 30 employees..so all that stuff still matters? Im gonna have to read up a bit on those two acts...but they would still matter with a pre built package wouldnt they?
    Im looking at this system right now..
    http://www.medofficesystems.com/ap_emr.htm

Have a look here scotty
    http://www.e-clinic.uk.net
    thanks alot! Will have a look but it already looks better than anything Ive found..

Im assuming that connecting through the intranet is gonna be the best option for both security and price but how would you go about setting one up?
    Last edited by Scotty22; 09-26-06 at 19:31.

No offence Scotty, but if you are on a short term placement then this is way beyond what you will be able to handle. There are a whole host of issues, apart from the NHS stuff which has already been mentioned.

They need to get hold of a reliable consultant who knows his way around the NHS related requirements.

Regards
    Das
    ----------------------------------------------------

One day, I'll have learnt so much that I'll be able to answer questions as well!!

well there is an nhs guy coming in to talk to me and the manager about this in about an hour...

Just to clear up this isue of the " 2 acts" - If you make a system for the practice then you have to put in place a security process that stops unauthorised people getting to the records of the clients.

This is why building your own system could put huge stress on someone who isnt fully experienced in database development

2nd. If the data for any reason corrupts or reports back against the wrong client you could be made responsible for the out come

Gareth

However, hope you get to the resolution that keeps you in the good books

And these packages have this security built in? i phoned up e-clinic today actually and should of asked about that...that software looks really good, gonna see what they think tomorrow.

Hi Scotty

What youll find is that the issues of security for multiple network users is included. However, when you talk to these people dont be afraid to ask about
    how many user licences come with the initial software,

cost of adding licences

maximum users

Initial support costs

annual support costs

training costs and if and how much is included in the initial package

costs to bring traininers in after installation to upskill if required

version updates and their costs if tthey are compulsary

documented user procedures to refer to

gareth