Unanswered: Can DB2 do all this?

ok basically this practice place is using a paper based system and they wanna know how to go about computerizing it. Theres loadsa data such as patient info, records, audits, primary complaints, diary sheet, examination screen etc. they have an offsite server thats gonna store all this info that can then be drawn from the 2 computers in the clinic to be updated, amended and so on. There are two practices (both private) so if it was on computer both sites can access/ammend it.

Its all on paper now. They just want it all on computer so it can be easily accessed and changed. There is ALOT of info and it aint exactly organised or anything right now and they think computerizing is the way forward.

Current software packages doesnt have all the details needed like jpeg images of bodies which can be changed in some way either by touch or simply color coded and then attached to the patient.

http://www.getphysicalsoftware.com/s...TOKEN=22887732

^^ thats one package. that is ok but messy and cant add pics...it has alot of the info tho..

I was just wondering what software is available so I can start this from the ground up. I dont know much about this stuff but Im looking into it.. I dont know if something like ACCESS would be powerful enough and you cant add pics and actually edit them in access i dont think? I have never used (or even heard of) DB2 but would it be suitable for this? If not, what would?

Here are the sort of details that would be going into the database...have a look at these two pics...

http://img49.imageshack.us/img49/5349/chir00o1cz5.jpg

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y72...345/chiro2.jpg

^^see that skeleton pic would have have to be added made available to be modified.

Any ideas? I need like a foundation thing so I can try and start building this.

thanks for any help!

1. This is a forum for IBM's DB2 database and has nothing to do with MS Access. DB2 can store all the data you mentioned, but many application programs would need to be written in java, C, or some other programming language (these are not part of the DB2 database).

Building a system like you need from the ground up will likely cost millions of dollars and years of development time.

2. Based on my experience with patient record and clinical systems, there are application software packages that have most (or all) of the stuff you need. You just need to keep looking for it. If you find something close, but not exact, then maybe you can help the developers understand what enhancements you would like to see.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_A
    Building a system like you need from the ground up will likely cost millions of dollars and years of development time.
    wow really? i thought i would be able to do it myself using oracle, sql or something else better than access. thanks for the advice though..

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty22
    wow really? i thought i would be able to do it myself using oracle, sql or something else better than access. thanks for the advice though..
    Yes really. What you are attempting to do is equivilent to one of us (who are not surgeons) peforming open heart surgery on someone with some garden tools.

Why not expand your search of the available products on the market?
    M. A. Feldman

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus_A
    Yes really. What you are attempting to do is equivilent to one of us (who are not surgeons) peforming open heart surgery on someone with some garden tools.

Why not expand your search of the available products on the market?
    well i do have some knowledge and it doesnt look that hard to learn. The thing is there arent many products (ive found 3 and the two i tried dont do everything you need - the third "clinicoffice" wouldnt work for me)..

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty22
    well i do have some knowledge and it doesnt look that hard to learn. The thing is there arent many products (ive found 3 and the two i tried dont do everything you need - the third "clinicoffice" wouldnt work for me)..
    A few years ago a did a survey of packages available for what you are looking for, and they all cost millions of dollars to develop and years to complete.

It sounds to me that you are looking at just a few fairly unsophisticated packages. The more sophisticated ones are out there, but they are expensive.
    M. A. Feldman