"Too many indexes....." error message.

I'm getting an error message when I'm trying to link a table. It's an AS400 system, and the table is very large. However, I'm not getting the error with other tables (I have about ten already linked), but I can't figure this one table out.
    I'm not sure what info you may or may not need to help so I'll leave it open for questions.
    The error is this "Operation failed. There are too many indexes present on the table you are trying to link." Something like that.
    I've tried to search for similar issues, without luck. Normally, I can find what I need by doing some reading, but not this time.

Thoughts?

I'm guessing (very much) that it could possibly be something to do with multi-clustered indexes (i.e. more than 1 index which is maybe set on multiple fields for each index). Big guess though. I had a similar problem with the Progress database I'm working with connecting ODBC to a unix db.
    Expert Database Programming
    MSAccess since 1.0, SQL Server since 6.5, Visual Basic (5.0, 6.0)

I, too, am using the ODBC connection to link up with the as400 table. Is there any way around this? As luck would have it, it is the most resourceful table out there. Is there a setting in Access or ODBC manager?

If this is the problem (i.e. multi clustered indexes), I suppose you could change/Remove the index or somehow make another index before importing or trying it linked without the clustered index although you may see some performance issues and you may have to write in/change some code. If you have a front-end for the db already, this is something definately to consider.
    Last edited by pkstormy; 09-27-06 at 20:52.

Still trying to get this tables linked. No success. I guess my question is this (hopefully, it will give me a place to start).
    Is it the general opinion that I is a setting within Access, or something to do with the AS400 table. Seeing that I'm already linked to other tables within the AS400 system, I'm assuming it is not Access. But I really don't have anything else to base this on. If it is the AS400 system, what do I need to do to clear the "indexes"?
    Or better yet, is there a setting in Access to allow multiple index settings within a given external data table?

Although I'm not swinging from a limb on a tree yet, the rope is already hung.

I've been searching around for different Progress drivers hoping to find a more stable type of connection. There might be another driver out there for the AS400 which would work better. Once I found one and had to install over the MDAC file which changed alot of my drivers. But I still had problems like you with certain tables and my problem is due to the field length in the Progress table can actually grow larger than it's designated size limit. For example, even though a field is sized to a certain length, Progress lets you exceed and store the data in that field. Doesn't seem to make sense to me. The indexing problem you're having might be driver related. Figuring out how to work around it/install new drivers, etc. is the problem if that's the source of the trouble you're also having. I'm working with a company to get a new driver (at a cost of course).
    Last edited by pkstormy; 10-05-06 at 00:59.

At this point, I willing to try anything. Are there any threads or members that are are 'pros' on AS400 programming? This may be a better question for them, considering that may be were the problem lie.

Any AS400 takers?

AS400 takers?

At this point, I willing to try anything. Are there any threads or members that are are 'pros' on AS400 programming? This may be a better question for them, considering that may be were the problem lie.

Any AS400 takers?